Dangerous lies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That silliness has been promoted regularly and emphatically by Alex Brylske in the pages of Dive Training magazine. That magazine is given out for free to students in dive shops all over the place. there must be many thousands of people who think he knows what he is talking about and therefore believe him.
He teaches Biology at a community college. Diving expert? He doesn't teach any dive classes that I know of.

I've had my MOF many times, while in the water, before and after dives. So far, it has never been a sign of panic. I am not lying. Usually it is simply a sign that i want to speak normally.
You are implying that MOF IS equipment rejection and, therefore, IS a sign of a distressed diver. Your wording is a little vague in this regard. Wouldn't it be more correct to say that MOF MAY represent equipment rejection and therefore MAY be a sign of a distressed diver?
If you put your mask on your forehead I will always ask if you are OK. If you say that you are, I will ask that you place your mask on your face or arm. I won't make you do that, that would be not nice, but I will ask you to, until you are back on the boat.

That I remember, the only time I put my mask on my forehead I was twisted bent like a pretzel. Then I was furious because I couldn't find the mask. Another sign that I was bent like a pretzel.

If you put your mask on your forehead I will always ask if you are OK. If you say that you are, I will ask that you place your mask on your face or arm. I won't make you do that, that would be not nice, but I will ask you to, until you are back on the boat.

That I remember, the only time I put my mask on my forehead I was twisted bent like a pretzel. Then I was furious because I couldn't find the mask. Another sign that I was bent like a pretzel.

And if I'm diving with you, I will do my best to make you happy/be a good buddy/customer. But, if you do see me with my MOF, it probably doesn't mean I'm in a panic. If we're in anything other than the most benign conditions, it won't be an issue, as I wouldn't take my mask off anyway. Ocean diving? It would have to be the flattest, nicest, no-current day ever before I would think about taking my mask off before I'm back on the boat.

Mine is some variation of "drysuits are dangerous" and not for new divers. Just saw it recently somewhere on SB.

What I do with my mask is turn it sideways on my head, so it's above an ear. Much easier to deal with turning mask around on your head if you have a neoprene strap. I couldn't do it with the silicone strap that comes with most straps.

The last time I did MOF, I lost it when I jumped back in the water to relieve myself in the big restroom, after removing my gear on the boat. I simply forgot that I had my mask still on my forehead at the time. From then on, I have it on my chin or on hand or on the gear when I'm not underwater.

but, but, he wrote "The Complete Diver"
Interesting. I own a hardcopy and have read the book, and didn't realize the author was not well thought of.

Last edited:
My avatar is a pic of me, MOF, on my way to the water and not in any distress. Since I went to a bungeed backup, I can't put my mask under my chin, so it is MOF instead.
I just added an inch or two to the bungee loop. That gave me room for both the reg and mask around my neck. Not that I'm suggesting MOF is a problem; your mask, your business where you keep it in my opinion.

I don't consider MOF a dangerous lie, nor nitrox is safer a dangerous lie, although I am not a fan at all of deep stops, and I have empirical evidence to back me up. Or at least Dr Neal Pollock does, and I watched him collect it.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom