Danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sabbath999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It drives me nuts when I see people dragging gear flailing out behind them, octo fluttering in the current on the right side, heavy console bouncing around the left side, hoses sticking out all over the place....

What is so hard about making sure you don't have crap dangling, tearing up both the reef and your gear?

Without a mirror to preen in, its pretty hard to see your dangling bits unless you are specifically looking for them. I also suspect many divers refrain from bringing up their buddies dangling bits because it might be construed as rude and a non-critical issue not worthy of addressing.

One option I have used is to specifically ask my buddy to check me for any dangling gear so I don't "damage the reef or get entangled". Now I am normally 99% sure I don't have anything, but this makes it easy to then point out their issues without being rude about it.

It may be preaching to the choir.

Most divers here on SB take diving seriously. Fun, but serious fun. We respect the dangers of the sport and are always trying to improve. I suspect the majority of the divers you have noticed are casual vacation divers. Most do not take scuba as seriously and may be completely unaware or cannot remember since cert about keeping consoles and octos from dangling.

Also gear, clips, and reels cost money. I've spent $30 for console retractor for SPG, $25 coil lanyard for lights, and $10 for octo holder. I'm not sure casual vacation diver wants to spend even that much money to dive, or presumes they should have been provided by the resort.

Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

Snorkel keepers and home made bungee loops are the cheapest and most effective securing devices I've ever used.
Add SS/brass/bronze boltsnaps, cave line and quick links and you've got all the various pieces to make any effective securing device.

Perhaps some who rent gear just don't think about it because it's not their own?

Hair bows are really convienent and easy to carry. They can quickly secure a lot of items and you can carry several on a watch band

Quite aside from those who don't care so much, are those who don't see it.

I was sitting next to a DM many years ago who I looked up to greatly. I noticed that he had a hose routed oddly and I argued with myself as to whether I should say something about it. I did and he said, "Oh, would you fix it for me?"

As a general rule, the person wearing the gear has the worst view of it.

It also comes from not paying attention to your set up. If you keep everything in the same place all the time and perform a basic locate drill you know within seconds if something is not where it is supposed to be. And if you look at some areas where rental gear does not have bolt snaps or bungees to secure the gear the casual underwater tourist does not think to stow anything. And that goes back to their initial training that did not emphasize the need to keep things tight and streamlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom