Dauin, Apo Island--Mikes Dauin Beach Resort trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshort4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Its been over three weeks since diving in Dauin, I wanted some time to let things sort themselves out before over reacting one way or another and think before I leap. I will write trips reports on three different areas I was able to dive in the Philippines--Dauin, Bohol (Balicasag Island) and Puerto Galera. I'll start with Dauin and Mikes Dauin Beach Resort.

Our second trip to Mikes--we dove there for five days last year and liked it so much we decided to return again this year for seven nights. Its nice to be welcomed back like old friends from the folks that work there--Corri the resort manager and Jonathan in charge of dive operations. The three guides I dove with last year--Ace, Marlon and Gabby were still there also and was happy to be diving with them again. Mike's is a small eight room resort set on the beach in Dauin which is about a 30 minute ride outside of Dumaguete City. Getting to Dumaguete City from Manila is a one hour flight on either Cebu Pacific Airlines or Philippine airlines---cost for one way is about $60 US. Its a nice small village with not much going on but nice to stroll and get a taste of small village life in the Philippines without all the noise and traffic and pollution going on in the bigger cities. The resort is small and comfortable with a nice pool, restaurant, bar and of course the dive shop. Several larger resorts are a two minute stroll down the beach if you want to experience different dining options.

Diving---Dauin is known as more a less a mecca of "muck" diving. Black muddy bottom--not much coral, lots of artificial reefs in place and lots of small stuff to find and see. A lot of folks love the muck dives--me? not so much. So why was I in Dauin? Apo Island--but sometimes you need to do what you may not enjoy so much to be able to do the things you love. I love diving Apo Island! Don't get me wrong--I still enjoyed my muck dives--hell I just like being in the water. Out of 13 dives that week seven were muck dives and six dives at Apo Island--I was completely satisfied with the complete experience. Two three tank dive trips to Apo Island (a all day experience) and mostly two tank dives along the coast of Dauin. Our weather for the week was perfect--sunshine and 85 degrees each day and water temp 82 degrees--calm seas, it doesn't get any better than that. Vis at Apo was in the 70 to 80 foot range and a bit less so along the coast of Dauin--maybe 50 to up to 60 feet--again pretty good. Apo Island has a little something for everyone---from shallower dives with no currents but still beautiful reefs and critters to fast ripping currents at Coconut Point and Cogan for the more advanced divers. Lots of turtles everywhere--tornadoes of Jack fish, soooo many banded sea snakes and plenty of frog fish. The resort has two large Bangka boats that will hold up to 15 divers easily--the most we had was five divers and one day about 6 or 7 snorkelers. The cost for a three tank dive with lunch is about $110 US. Muck dives are about $36 US each--nitrox 32 was an extra $5 per fill. If they have enough people they will go to Oslob on Cebu to snorkel with the whale sharks there plus do two dives on the way back (look at their website for prices). The restaurant is good--lots of choices including a good selection of Mexican food and a nice selection of imported and local liquors at the bar. Prices are in line with the economy of the Philippines. The standard rooms are in the $50 range and two deluxe rooms about $10 more but we liked the standard rooms just fine--just wish they had refrigerators in them. Beds are foam mattress which I found a little hard--big bathroom (with hot water) and good a/c. Nice long common veranda upstairs with two comfortable chairs and small table in front of each room plus a drying rack for swim suits and dive gear. The dive boats have no set-up for cameras. One small bucket that everything went into--small cameras will fit--my SeaLife Micro 2.0 with light fit just fine but I put it in and out to avoid everyone's mask from piling up on top of it. If you're into muck diving and like beautiful reefs like Apo you'll be in diver heaven at Mikes. I miss it already and will more than likely be returning next year. . ,

A little more information about Mikes Beach resort. They will arrange transportation from the port or from the airport in a nice van for 600 pesos ($12) for the whole van or you can split the costs if there are more folks going to the resort. All dives were in the 60 to 65 minute range--once again you didn't dive your tank--usually around 1000 psi when we surfaced. I was there during the first week of December and the only quest for several days and dove alone for two days with my own guide. Then a couple from England showed up and I thoroughly enjoyed my diving with them--and our great talks about WWII. I'll try and post a few photos from Dauin below--having trouble since the internet is not the best here in the Philippines--
MICR0751.jpg
MICR0714.jpg
MICR0805.jpg

Thanks for the post and the pics-- Very helpful. Looking forward to reading your other 2 reports.

I cant believe you've just posted this report!! I have literally just paid my deposit for a weeks stay at Mike's in March and your report has just validated my decision.
I've been looking for a nice small comfortable resort to take the kids (2 & 5 years old) and found Mike's. It seems to tick most of the boxes, small and cozy, beach, snorkeling, decent diving, friendly, from all the reviews and your report they appear to be all tick tick tick!!
We are taking Granny along so she will look after the kids while the wife and I dive. So happy days!!
Only negative is the hard bed.... mmm...not a fan!!

Thanks for the report & pics.

I cant believe you've just posted this report!! I have literally just paid my deposit for a weeks stay at Mike's in March and your report has just validated my decision.
I've been looking for a nice small comfortable resort to take the kids (2 & 5 years old) and found Mike's. It seems to tick most of the boxes, small and cozy, beach, snorkeling, decent diving, friendly, from all the reviews and your report they appear to be all tick tick tick!!
We are taking Granny along so she will look after the kids while the wife and I dive. So happy days!!
Only negative is the hard bed.... mmm...not a fan!!

Thanks for the report & pics.
You are more than welcome! All I can say is you're going to love it there. You can take long walks on the beach at night--we enjoyed watching the locals put out fishing nets in the evenings from the beach and watching them pull them in and see what they caught. If you get a chance walk into Dauin to where they have their outdoor market (10 minute walk)--there is a guy making fried chicken on the back of his motorcycle and selling it for 10 pesos a piece---best fried chicken I have ever tasted! The first time we bought his chicken we walked down to a park and ate it for lunch--it was so good we went back and bought 10 more pieces to bring back to our room to munch on lol.

Man my boys will absolutely love to see/ watch/ help them pulling in the nets! I can see them both getting caught into the nets themselves! :wink:
Me likes me some fried chicken!! So will definitely go for a walk to the market.

I see from the resort pics that the accommodation block is quite close to the bar/ restaurant, does it get noisy at night? The boys go down fairly early and hoping it wont get too rowdy.
What is it like swimming straight off the beach? Is it rocky or does the sand go out a bit? Remember it only needs to be waist deep and the boys will be swimming.

Thanks for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom