Davey MC1A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vshearer

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I will learn a bit as this is my first compressor. So far I have run it about 30 minutes testing and it generates good pressure on all stages, unloads at 3700 and kicks back in at about 3100. Diesel runs like a top. Still trying to determine overall condition. It has an hourmeter that indicates 290 hours but I am a bit cynical of that. Over half the guages on the front panel have been replaced. Looks a bit more used than 300 hours would indicate.

Used synthetic oil for filling and will refill again after several hours.

I am curious if anyone has experience with these if they have converted the Dehydrator stacks that take LF cartridges to self-packing? I don't want to re-invent the wheel. Seems I could use an old cartridge and cut the ends out to make a packable cylinder.

Couple of things I have run into so far. Took a 3' breaker bar to break loose the caps on the dehydrators. They are clean although the "Mechanical" stack had about a teaspoon of clean oil in the bottom. All the traps had some water/oil in them, but the #3 had at least 6 ozs. of water/sludge in it. Seems I saw somewhere on this forum a suggestion to disconnect the third stage hose and check air output on a clean rag. I am cleaning all of these as well as the constant flow drains. Finding lots of small leaks on the tubing fittings. Doesn't hold pressure for more than 5 hours on the stacks.

Anyone with experience with these I would like to share experience with. As I only have about $850 invested (picked it up govt surplus) I guess I have a good parts bin in the fittings and towers even if it doesn't pan out, but so far I am guardedly optimistic. The wife calls it the "Lunar Rover" and wants to know why it has a place in the garage now and our cars don't.

Don't disconnect the third stage. That will say nothing. Do the rag test if you wish but only perform this test at the end of the filter train and only after all cartridges are in place.

A blowby test might be in order but requires a flow meter. Crank up the machine and check. If it reads or feels like it is less than 1.5 cfm @ 3000 psi you should be on the good side of the curve.

Yes, cut up the Lawrence Fubar cartridge and replace the body with plastic or metal tube. Look around to see what fits and you might get lucky. Put O ring under the top cap (output) and hold everything in place with a spring positioned on or below an end cap. Pack it tight and a spring is not necessary inside the tube. Use felt pads and plastic disks to segregate the chemicals. Remember, plastic tubes have rep for cracking or breaking up so make several. Buy pads from Compressed Air Specialties or LF and make disks from plastic bucket lid.

Hey, thanks guys. I have August Industries bookmarked. Will probably give them a call to see if they have additional parts not listed on the website.

Since a flowmeter would be useful down the road anyhow, that is a good suggestion Pescador. I did do the hand test and did not feel anything, but that is pretty difficult to determine unless it was exteme. I am not too concerned with the oil in the lines now as it came with an oil bath air filter and when I removed it I noticed it appeared to be overfilled to the point where oil had been sucked into the intake.

Basically I am just trying to make sure it is worth investing some additional funds into before getting in deep.

I have also seen some discussion about using "marbles" in the mechanical/aggregator stack. What
is the idea behind that?

About the marbles: In the early days, some systems used various media to increase the surface area inside the condensator. This is based on the observation that coalescing rate is related to the surface area to which water molecules are exposed. Spun stainless pads or plastic pads have also been used.

Hey Vshearer, I just got home with a davey MC11 and just joined Scubaboard. Looks like your the man with all the answers. I ordered the manual from bargain marge but don't have the patience to wait for it to come in the mail. I noticed in a previous post you posted a link for the davey manual. This link no longer works. If it would'nt be too much trouble could you post it again so I can take a peek at it while I'm waiting for the the mail? Also if you could fill me in on any lessons learned during your experience with your compressor would be appreciated. To get this ready for filling scuba cylinders other than the hardware what else would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any insight you offer
Divin-dude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom