Daylight Savings Time Ends tonight for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burma (Myanmar) has a half hour time zone. So when it is 7:00 in Thailand, it is 6:30 in Burma (Myanmar). So, AZ, you are a little less funky than Burma (Myanmar)

And China has just one time zone.

Reactions: Jax
Newfoundland is the same sort of thing 3 1/2 hours off UCT (or 2 1/2 for DST).

Farwell TX (population 1,364) is legally on Central time, but being so close to Clovis NM (37,775) they go by Clovis/Mountain time, except for the county courthouse. :silly:

Is Farwell TX the last town in TX since its called Farwell? :p

Is Farwell TX the last town in TX since its called Farwell? :p
Uh, nope. I know it as on my way to the Blue Hole in NM where we practice dive. It started as a line camp for the XIT ranch helping mark the western boundary.
In 1879, the Sixteenth Texas Legislature appropriated 3,000,000 acres (12,000 km²) of land to finance a new state capitol. In 1882 in a special legislative session, the Seventeenth Texas Legislature struck a bargain with Charles B. and John V. Farwell of Chicago, Illinois, under which a syndicate led by the Farwells, with mostly British investors, agreed to build a new $3,000,000.00 Texas State Capitol and accept the 3,000,000 acres (12,000 km²) of Panhandle land in payment.

A branch of the Ozark Auto Trail went thru there predating the US Hiway federal highway system, maintained by both private citizens and local communities. One of the obelisk markers was there, recently restored, but I can't find a pic of it. Here is a 1920s pic of the one that still stands in Tulia TX, just north of Plainview...

0fe7afbb-4146-5c8c-90d6-6aafd5eee02a.image.jpg

Reactions: Jax
In Saskatchewan, we never change our time. It's a source of ongoing debate. Personally I'd like to have a few extra hours of daylight at the end of the day, but farmers want it at the beginning of the day (less wind, better for seeding, fertilizing etc). Whatever. No one has been able to satisfy everyone and so we stay as we are. I've always thought the "and x-:30 in Newfoundland" is a bit of a national joke.

...a few extra hours of daylight at the end of the day, but farmers want it at the beginning of the day (less wind, better for seeding, fertilizing etc).
A few?! :eek: No one gets more than one on any time change! :laughing: Well, I wasn't sure by the time we crossed several time zone borders in March, but it's just one max. Farmers work by the sun, not the clock - but DST pushes sunrise and sunset back on the clock that TV schedules and banking hours are on.

In Texas of course, we call it Texas-Time as compared to other zones, we're just that way, except there is also El Paso-Time, aka Mountain time - except Juarez across the river is on Texas time. :cool:

an hour EARLY for dive boat or airport, right?
:lol:​
Same clock time, but move your clock back from 2am to 1am - or whenever you go to bed.

We do this in the US next weekend, to leave more daylight for trick or treaters at Halloween.

Well, its the same ammount of daylight, its just moved from the evening till the morning :p
Earlier darkness - perfect for scary costumes :D

Technically its not the same ammount of daylight as the day today is a few minutes shorter than yesterday, but not because the clock was adjusted. Sun up at 7 and down at 7 or sun up at 6 and down at 6 still leaves 12 hours of daylight.

Back
Top Bottom