DC500 Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to go south again soon and need some tips/ advice as to how to get my Dc500 and strobe neutral. I could order the weights from Sealife but I read you can rig it yourself with more success. Any home made remedies would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Steve

Eh, why? If you lose control of it, you're more likely to find it floating than not. It's not very buoyant - not enough that I ever noticed. Well, I've almost always got mine in both hands ready to shoot, but even when not - it's not that floaty. I was more concerned while chasing whale sharks between Holbox and Cancun shooting video without a strobe as it become negative then; really felt I should have had a floating strap in case I lose control as when you swimming with the Giant Dominoes there - things happen fast and in murky water.

I've got a couple of 1.5# ankle weights I bought when I was new and into mad buying. I suppose I could hang one of those on the strobe, but I'd rather not.

I agree with Don. I've got mine on a spring coil. Sometimes I let go of it briefly (like for mask clearing or something) and it will only rise a few inches before I retrieve it. A few times on descent is has gotten away from me and I think I have lost it, only to find it stretching the coil a few feet above me.

What about putting a few small weights such as hex nuts around the base or strobe arm and tying them with wire or tie wraps? Maybe trial and error until the amount is just right.

But again, if it's lost at depth, there's a decent chance it will be found on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom