DC500 Pro Set -- Worth buying used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well you know I trust you so this is especially good information as the only reason I'm interested in the DC500 is for the external flash. Thank you. :)

OK, so now that I've pretty much decided to invest in a quality strobe, (once the trip bill is paid off) I have some questions...

First, just how good a flash is this D2000? I've been googling around trying to find out the average range of the flash but haven't turned anything up yet. Kevin, I believe you mentioned a range one time we were on the boat but I don't recall what it was.

I don't envision buying a new camera every few years so if/when I finally do decide to upgrade my P&S to a *better* one in say 5 years or so, will the D2000 still be compatible? Just how flexible is it? Is it the Hog harness of the u/w photography world?

I'm off on Monday so if I have a chance, I'll call up Backscatter and/or Reef Photo for more info. One thing I have discovered on the Reef Photo website is that there's not a strobe package specific to my Canon housing, WP-DC16, but I do recall reading here on SB that someone somehow did manage to attach the strobe to their A720IS... Wish me luck...

When I first saw the D-2000, I thought it was a hokey little thing... but when Ryan recommended it, I trusted him implicitly. As soon as I started leafing through the manual, I was absolutely amazed at the amount of thought put into it. The power is significantly greater than the similarly sized strobe on the Sealife rig that I used on the dredge. I've illuminated goliath grouper from six or eight feet away on the Castor with mine. I am certain that it is adaptable to your camera, and that it will be adaptable to any other cameras you may grow into.

<snip>

BTW, it's not a matter of if you'll flood it, but more of when. I'd suggest insuring well, in such a way that the whole collection will be claimed, or that you can easily replace the part. My DC500 is no long available so I'd want my insurance company to cover the camera, housing, strobe as a unit - then move on from an accident to the DC800 for my taste. I do have a spare camera that'd fit the housing, but I got it for $30 US just to finish a trip - and I like the way the DC500 shoots video in ASF as compared to Canon shooting in AVI.

I did a recent study of insurance coverages and found that DEPP and DAN both suck badly as compared to State Farm Inland Marine. I don't know if you can get the latter in Canada or living as close to the sea as you do, but surely someone will do better than DEPP and DAN gear insurance - both are bad IMO.<snip>

Thanks for all the info, Don! I've snipped to save space... I did a bit of research on insurance and went with DEPP. (I don't even have insurance on my apartment contents. :11:) I don't believe we have State Farm here in Canada but when I next have a chance, I'll make inquiries about *inland marine* insurance.

When I first saw the D-2000, I thought it was a hokey little thing... but when Ryan recommended it, I trusted him implicitly. As soon as I started leafing through the manual, I was absolutely amazed at the amount of thought put into it. The power is significantly greater than the similarly sized strobe on the Sealife rig that I used on the dredge. I've illuminated goliath grouper from six or eight feet away on the Castor with mine. I am certain that it is adaptable to your camera, and that it will be adaptable to any other cameras you may grow into.
I called Reef Photo and Backscatter this morning. While Reef Photo has come up with dedicated strobe packages for certain housings, it's not really necessary says Backscatter; I can buy a universal strobe package and I'm set. Now I just need to pay off that pesky Visa bill... :ermm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom