DC500 Pro Set -- Worth buying used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
I can pick up a used DC500 Pro Set for less than what it would cost me to buy an external flash for my Canon A720IS. Apparently, the camera has only been used on one snorkeling trip.

I did a quick search here on SB, and no one seems to hate this camera so I'm seriously considering it. What do you think? TIA!

I like mine, but then I started with a Sea Life 1 mp, then a 3, now this 5.

Do you have the housing for your 8 mp Canon already?

I think that it would be worth the money and if you don't like it contact me and I would be interested if the price was right. That way you have the potential for being out very little.

I like mine and have had it since they came out.

rexlyn

The battery life is the biggest problem I had with my DC500. The batteries only last about 90 minutes - not enough for a two tank dive trip if you take a lot of pictures. It is VERY frustrating to have your batteries die on the second dive just when the baby whale shark swims by.

Thx for the replies so far!

Don, yes, I have a housing for the Canon, but I know a decent strobe for it will cost more than what this DC500 package is going for. I don't mind having 2 cameras.

rexlyn, thanks for the offer. I'll keep you posted if need be.

trig..., wow! Just 90 minutes? I'm guessing this is dependent on how many pics you're actually taking though? Please clarify. On average, I probably took no more than 20 pics during my camera's first outing last month. Maybe this camera will work for me anyway?

annasea - search the forum and you will find a lot of people discussing the DC500 battery life. I like to take a LOT of pictures and video, and the battery would almost always run out in the middle of a second dive. If you are not taking as many, it may last through both dives, but it won't last much longer than that AND the battery does not hold a charge well, meaning you have to fully recharge the battery before going on a trip. Or, you can bring multiple batteries, but I do not like opening the housing and changing batteries on a rocking dive boat.

On the plus side, the camera is compact and sturdy, is easy to use, takes good pictures and takes very good videos.

I love my DC500 (Pro) set and have never looked back. Yes, the batteries do not last more than 90 minutes but my cure has always been to take multiple charged batteries and just swap them out between dives. Is that a pain / risk to do? Perhaps, but no more so than the old days of swapping 35mm film out of a Nikonos between dives. :)

Seriously though, I have yet to have any problems changing batteries between dives (just use some common sense precautions) and as someone else here has already stated, if you are a bit careful with how many photos you take, you can get two dives on a battery (video will almost always limit you to a single dive).

Regards,
Ltstanfo

If you search on ebay for "np-900 1000 mAh" you will find batteries that fit the DC-500 that are 1000 mAH capacity (basically have 50% more life than the original 650mAH).

These were originally made for Konica-Minolta cameras, but fit the DC-500 - they are a little snug, but work fine. They do last through two 1hr dives.

Hi! My 2 cents... Buy a decent strobe for your Canon. The logic is behind this is that the camera and housing part of the setup are kinda dynamic. Like computers, they fade into obselecence rather quickly, and it seems as though folks tend to replace them every so often. A good strobe, on the other hand can be used with anything (just about) you might decide to shoot and is a much more permanent piece of gear. The strobe that comes with the camera you're looking at is not quite as powerful as you may want.

I really like the strobe I've been using over the last year, it's an Inon D-2000, and I have to say I'm quite impressed by how well the strobe figures out correct lighting, producing consistent spot on exposures. It makes my pictures look like I know what I'm doing. Here's a link to some information about my particular strobe, courtesy of REEF Photo who I highly reccommend. They are about $540.00, but you only have to buy it once.

The battery life is the biggest problem I had with my DC500. The batteries only last about 90 minutes - not enough for a two tank dive trip if you take a lot of pictures. It is VERY frustrating to have your batteries die on the second dive just when the baby whale shark swims by.
The battery life does suck, as it is a 750 mAh, but I don't think I've ever had one quit in less than 100 pics. I could be wrong about the number, but I am one to shoot shoot shoot then see what I got later and I just don't remember it ever quitting on a 2 tank outing. I keep a battery on the charger all the time and change cards and batteries after two tanks usually - which does require the ownership of 2 batteries and the separate charger, but I got those when I got the camera.

If needed...
1215289416.116.jpg

Your DC500 battery is Lithium so extended charging it doesn't hurt like it might a NmHydride.

Thx for the replies so far!

Don, yes, I have a housing for the Canon, but I know a decent strobe for it will cost more than what this DC500 package is going for. I don't mind having 2 cameras.

rexlyn, thanks for the offer. I'll keep you posted if need be.

trig..., wow! Just 90 minutes? I'm guessing this is dependent on how many pics you're actually taking though? Please clarify. On average, I probably took no more than 20 pics during my camera's first outing last month. Maybe this camera will work for me anyway?
OK, I don't know what $$ you're talking about but since you have the housing for the Canon already, only need the strobe, then I guess you have a very good price on the DC500 kit. But you are stepping down from your 8 mp to this 5 mp; you're used to 2 - 2500 mAh batteries or so compared to this 750; and like Kevin says - it's not up to date.

If you search on ebay for "np-900 1000 mAh" you will find batteries that fit the DC-500 that are 1000 mAH capacity (basically have 50% more life than the original 650mAH).

These were originally made for Konica-Minolta cameras, but fit the DC-500 - they are a little snug, but work fine. They do last through two 1hr dives.
I saw that, phoned the place to ask what the mAh is as I can't tell; he didn't know, said to check the manufacturer - whoever that may be.
http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=263&sku=BATNP900

You really think it works in the DC500? Maybe I have had batteries quit on 2 tanks and don't remember. I now have 3 - 750 mAh batteries so I don't think I'll be putting more money into an aging camera, but maybe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom