DCS in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Responding to "How long would you take off before starting with a fresh computer?" you said: Zero.
Seriously? You'd (for example) start with a fresh computer on dive #2 on a two tank morning dive? I wouldn't advise it; your actual nitrogen loading would be way more than the computer would show.

Seriously? You'd (for example) start with a fresh computer on dive #2 on a two tank morning dive? I wouldn't advise it; your actual nitrogen loading would be way more than the computer would show.
Seriously. And, quite remarkably, I've survived my 1st 7 years of diving w/o a comp.

Seriously. And, quite remarkably, I've survived my 1st 7 years of diving w/o a comp.
Whatever floats your boat, but why even have a dive computer if you have to ignore what it is telling you? In the case I was asking about, at the beginning of your second dive it would be telling you that your N2 loading is zero, which would be incorrect. If you were trying to use it to monitor your N2 on that dive, you could very easily go into deco and not know it.

Christi's POV is a bit different, anyway. If she rents a dive computer to a customer, she has taken on some liability. She wants to be sure that the diver is N2 clean before they start depending on the computer, with good reason.

Whatever floats your boat, but why even have a dive computer if you have to ignore what it is telling you? In the case I was asking about, at the beginning of your second dive it would be telling you that your N2 loading is zero, which would be incorrect. If you were trying to use it to monitor your N2 on that dive, you could very easily go into deco and not know it.

Christi's POV is a bit different, anyway. If she rents a dive computer to a customer, she has taken on some liability. She wants to be sure that the diver is N2 clean before they start depending on the computer, with good reason.
One comp per buddy pair is enough. The diver w/o the comp will be fine with Timex (to do the safety stop in case they get separated accidentally). And still, as another option, there always are good old dive tables which I've used for 7 years. Computers only make safety calculations for diving more convenient, and that's all they do.

Bottom line, I see no point in sacrificing dives to Christi's obsession with liability.

One comp per buddy pair is enough. The diver w/o the comp will be fine with Timex (to do the safety stop in case they get separated accidentally). And still, as another option, there always are good old dive tables which I've used for 7 years. Computers only make safety calculations for diving more convenient, and that's all they do.

Bottom line, I see no point in sacrificing dives to Christi's obsession with liability.
If you are diving tables you must have shorter dives in Cozumel, since diving there for the most part is multi level diving. Many ops beside cattle boats require computers as well.

If you are diving tables you must have shorter dives in Cozumel, since diving there for the most part is multi level diving. Many ops beside cattle boats require computers as well.
I "must"? I do not owe you anything, my friend. I did Cozumel diving back when nobody on the boat had a comp.

And your point? Just because things were done a certain way back in the day doesn't mean we can't improve upon them and lower risk of issues. Since I like my 60-75 minute multi level dives, I will stick with a computer that is factoring my nitrogen loading every step of the way to lower my risks. Enjoy your diving.
Oh and must isn't a demand, rather an assumption. Breathe in a bit.

Last edited:
I "must"? I do not owe you anything, my friend. I did Cozumel diving back when nobody on the boat had a comp.

old_man_cane.0.0.jpe

*snicker*

No one said anything about sacrificing dives, and wishing to avoid liability doesn't qualify as an "obsession". Christi never said anyone couldn't dive, only that if you want to use one of her computers you need to start N2 clean. If she let someone start diving a fresh comp of hers when they are already loaded up with N2 and then they got bent, for whatever reason, she and her business could be at risk. I call that "prudence", not "obsession" (Sorry, Christi, for speaking for you. PM me if I misrepresented you.).

A shared computer only gives an approximation of the non-wearer's N2 loading; even minor differences in depth make a difference. My wife and I wear nearly identical comps and we compare loading at the safety stop. Even though we always stay together on the dive, it is quite common for our comps to show different loading.

No one is forcing you to wear a computer or to pay any attention to what it says if you do. Lots of people still dive without them and just depend on the DM not to lead them into trouble. Most of the time, that's OK, I guess. Once, several years ago, though, our DM went deep on a second dive and the couple who stayed with him came up with flashing computer displays indicating a blown deco stop. They were using borrowed computers that they did not know how to use. My wife and I were watching our comps and saw what was happening; we stayed well above them and did not have a problem.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom