DCS in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess closing the PFO is feasible for him but the procedure is not without risks. The paper I cited above cites Edmond's Diving Medicine saying that repair of the hole is probably more dangerous than diving with it. Therefore living with the PFO while avoiding DCS by more conservative diving may be well preferable even if he can easily find a doctor who'd close it.

And on that note, many heart surgeons will not close a PFO unless it is a clear hole directly though the tissue. My wife has a PFO but it is not a direct hole from one chamber to the other, they suspect the skin flap is attached mainly but allows gas flow into the skin, along the flap and then out the other side. In the doctors own words, if I were to try and repair it and something went wrong, I would be held negligent as I would have to puncture a hole directly through the chamber wall to effect a repair. Puncturing a hole into a perfectly good heart goes against all good practice. He did attempt a repair and could not clearly see the defect, thus did not repair it.

A second opinion went on to say that the PFO is so small and of so little significance, that in his opinion not relevant. So no solution here.

Well, I suffered round 2 of DCS in Cozumel last week. (First one was five years earlier, also in Cozumel.) I've spoken with two doctors and DAN since; they agree on using EAN 36 in the future, watching hydration, using air tables to plan dives, avoiding exertion, and planning for long surface intervals, although they offered three different recommendations for dive profiles. I can't dictate the dives to an entire boatload of divers but I don't want another session of Navy Level 6 treatment either, so I'm wondering how to arrange future dive trips - specifically how to accommodate the restricted depth and long surface interval.
For clarity, one doctor said 80 feet on the first dive and no deeper than 45 on the second; the second doctor advised no deeper than 60 feet and diving on alternate days only (which really doesn't make a dive trip worth doing), and the third (DAN) did not recommend a specific profile but advised me to plan the dives conservatively.

My wife has suffered DCS as well (see other post here), and our solution was to do the following;

Computer with adjustable decompression settings (shearwater) and set it for conservative settings.
Always dive Nx when possible, if diving air, one dive a day
If deco diving, no more than 2 dives a day, but must use Nx for deco
If deep deco diving only one dive a day (45-60m), and must have Nx for deco
If a deco dive then decompress fully, and then an additional 3 minutes on 80Nx before a very slow ascent to the surface from 6m (maybe 5 min).
No long swims back to the boat
No straining after diving has finished (no dragging lifting gear or tanks)
No hot showers after the dive, and no long walks, stress free evening

These rules work for her

Why would you let one uninformed diver dictate your access to an otherwise useful resource?

Totally agree, keep posting if you feel the need. Your thoughts and opinions matter too.

Last edited by a moderator:
No hot showers after the dive,

I've not heard this before. What is the basis for this comment?

I just opened my mouth and removed all douibt that I am stoopid.

Cheers - M²

Last edited:
DAN article said "
Those unwilling to wait will likely jump in regardless. These would be the best candidates to practice more conservative dive profiles. Those with more restraint may delay five to 30 minutes with slightly less concern over the dive profiles."

I think I can wait 5 to 30 min after a dive before my hot shower.
I guess it's always been AY LEAST 30 minutes after I have surfaced the last time for the day to heat the water in my horse trough that I use for a hot tub out here in the woods. Oops I don't dive in the woods. Anyway I hadn't seen the DAN article.
Cheers -

Many years ago, after a very aggressive dive, my girlfriend was about to take a shower about 1 hour after the dive. I warned her not to. She did anyway and within minutes some purple blotches appeared on her belly. I took the chamber ride with her. I would always suggest a two hour or more wait after any dive, for a HOT shower.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I agree with Dave.

This is actually discussed in OW training and especially in DM training - or should be.

Also not a good idea to get a massage after diving - wait a minimum of 3-4 hours - more if possible.

I also think you should wait, but i was just relaying what i thought the article said.

Think of it this way. Your tissues absorb a lot of gasses when you dive and there is still a lot in there after your dive. Normally, if you've followed the rules, those gassses are released slowly over the next xx-24 hours. Just don't do anything that causes them to be released too fast. Like exposing yourself to lower ambient pressure (i.e. flying, driving up a mountain). Or increasing blood flow (i.e. hot shower, massage, vigorous exercise). So in addition to delaying the hot shower for a few hours, you should also delay your gym workout or 5 mile run. For once, life wants you to take it easy and relax.

Back
Top Bottom