Deciding on gear and whether to get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I don't LOVE the package....but for the cost, I'm not complaining. New prices break down to about:
BCD - $500/$250
Reg - $450/$200
Octo - $120/$80
Computer - $360/$150
Tank - $200/$120

Where the first number is the "new" price online and the second number is approximately the used price (possibly a little optimistic). I'm tempted to get it all, and part out what I'm not thrilled with. For $425, I'll sell everything slowly in pieces. However, it frees up cash to get the fiancee some scuba gear.

The BCD is a size XXL. Will that fit you?

The included computer is air-only. Were you looking for a nitrox-compatible computer?

A winning total price of $425 ($350 + $75 shipping) is not realistic. There is still time left on the auction. The bidding will almost certainly run up as the auction deadline nears. FWIW, the current high bid is $350. You would have to submit a bid of at least $355...and even then it might not be the high bid.

Good luck with the auction...

Thanks. Honestly if the bid goes for anything over $350 I'll be okay with it. I am the high bid right now, with a max of $350. Now, at $425 shipped what can I expect to get in return if I part it out or simply resell it? I've kind of fallen for a HOG setup on DiveRightInScuba's website. DRIS has a hog BP/W singles for around $750 with practically everything I was looking for. Had I have seen it an hour earlier, I would've just ordered it. Now I'm half hoping someone outbids me. However, if I win I'll be more than happy for the price.

And I'm 6'6" at 275 pounds. I wear XL's in most BCD's. I can't imagine XXL being too big to fit me. Problem is that WILL hurt my ability to sell it, won't it?

Also, about Nitrox: meh. I've never dove it, I'm not Nitrox certified, and I have no intentions of diving Nitrox regularly. However, you're right...I should consider it. If I pay full price for a computer I'll definitely get one rated for EAN.

Size-wise, the BCD may fit you. :idk: This chart seems to indicate that.

I generally wouldn't recommend getting an air-only dive computer unless the computer is practically being given away (<$70). In this case, since it's part of a package, the Aeris XR1 might just be that cheap.
FYI, brand new nitrox-capable computers (with factory warranty) can often be purchased for $150-$225.

The cost:value ratio also assumes that all of the gear is 100% functional. This may or may not be true. I don't believe that the seller will accept returns. That's rather unfortunate.

Good luck with winning (or not winning) the auction.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm more like a 38-40" waist (but my belly is bigger) so I think the XXL bcd will be a little on the larger side for me. However, assuming everything works, I'll hope to sell it all back. I've fallen in love that HOG/Edge setup now. If I win the bid, I'll be happy...if not, I'll be happy. Either way, it'll all work out.

Also, since he marked it as "Used" which is defined as:
An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller&#8217;s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Then if anything doesn't work, he'll be receiving a return whether he likes it or not.

However, assuming it works....do my numbers look about right for the used value of the items or should I expect to get more/less out of them if I tried to sell them? About the air-only dive computer, you're right...I would never buy one outright, but in this package I see it as more of a "free bonus" than a computer I'm purchasing.

Alrighty, well I lost the bid....and I'm a little bummed-out that I didn't win the bid at $350. The winning bid was $355, so I wonder what his max bid was. Regardless, much over $425 I don't think I could have recuperated enough to make it worth my while. I was hoping to get at least a tank out of buying the package and reselling it.

So I'm going to probably be ordering the HOG BP/W and Reg package from DRIS. Is there anything I should look out for with that package (other than it missing the SPG) or is it a good setup?

So I'm going to probably be ordering the HOG BP/W and Reg package from DRIS. Is there anything I should look out for with that package (other than it missing the SPG) or is it a good setup?
To be honest, for the gear included in that package, I don't think the overall price ($750) is that good of a deal.
Personally, I would want the cold-water (environmentally sealed) version of the Edge first stage, but that's just me.

Tech Diving Limited
just had a 30% off sale (Joel's Birthday Sale) on everything it sells. TDL is a HOG/Edge dealer. Adding up everything in that DRIS package, you could have saved a substantial amount by getting it all from TDL. The sale just ended last night, but it might be possible to talk to the owner (Joel) about putting together a similar deal for you. :idk:

You could also price out a similar package at Scubatoys.com. Scubatoys offers a 10% discount for ScubaBoard members. Scubatoys is my preferred online retailer.

I believe that all three retailers (DRIS, TDL, and Scubatoys) have reputations for providing excellent customer service.

I wouldn't sweat losing that Ebay auction. There's always another deal to be had.

You might want to check with Jim Lapenta about a deal on your gear. He's closer than DRIS and he won't do you wrong.

I called in and Mike at DRIS quoted me at $825 shipped for the BP/W and Reg setup but with the regs upgraded to the HOG regs and a brass and glass HOG SPG.

However, I really wanted to support my LDS....and Hollis gear seems to get better reviews across the board. If I'm going to be investing nearly a grand in gear I want to buy once. My LDS is hooking me up with an awesome deal that I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with. Hollis Elite II harness, Hollis Alu Backplate, Hollis S38 Wing, Hollis 212/DC1 DIN Regulator & 7' hose, Hollis 221 Backup reg, Hollis Brass&Glass SPG for $855+tax, $900 total. I'm pretty much dead set on that now. Any opinions on that setup?

Back
Top Bottom