Deco for dummies - the book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just want to take the temperature of this idea ----

We have the resources (or at least the connections) on this board to write a book that

1) Explains the currently going theories in a widely understood language (ie, not FORTRAN code or mathematical mumbojumbo)

2) Lays out the current state of research and distinguishes between things we know for sure, things we think we know and things we're sure we don't know, things we need to know before the theory can be progressed etc etc

3) Makes the bridge between theory and practice with respect to stops, ascents, using computers etc etc. and explains the scientific basis for best practices being applied by divers

4) Has lots of cool pictures

5) Can be used by advanced divers and people wanting to know more but find the current material too dense, disjointed and/or incomplete.

All the information is out there but some of it might as well be written in Sanskrit for all the sense it makes to the layman and much of the information is (a) shrouded in opinion, (b) disconnected and (c) focused on one particular element of the puzzle.

Questions:

Who would be interested in participating in such a project?

Who would we need? (I can think of a few names .... one of whom suddenly has some free time :wink: )

Who would buy a book like that?

Other questions or comments?

R..

Excellent idea. Who would buy it? I would.

I would too. Wait...er...actually I already did. Its called Dive Physiology in Plain English by Dr. Jolie Bookspan....GREEEEEAT BOOK!

Put me on the waiting list. What you are describing is precisely what I have been trying to find.

First thing on the list should be a GOOD lawyer! All it will take is one D.A. getting bent of killed, and somone is gonna want a piece! No?

I'll be on the waiting list as well as those interested in contributing. Though my knowledge is more on the side of the physics of diving.

I wouldn't be able to contribute ANYTHING substantive, but I write pretty well and would be happy to edit . . .

Definately interested :)

TSandM:
I wouldn't be able to contribute ANYTHING substantive, . . .

I don't think I can agree with that statement. You've contributed lots to the board by asking the right questions and talking about your experiences. Your medical background has also helped you to contribute as well.

Cheers,
Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom