Deco for dummies - the book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the idea looks so good and it doesn't exist yet...it means one of two things :
1/ - There is a benefit for some powerful organisation (not necessarily in a negative way)
2/ - The necessary ressources never got together and executed...

Although 2/ sounds possible, I would lean on 1/.

I'm not trying to blame anyone, but we need to look at the problem not only from OUR point of view (as safe divers who understands, thanks to their training, what they can do and what they can't), but the general population's point of view.

If we can't find the appropriate material by ourselves, we will HAVE to go through the training. Although it sounds obvious for us that deco diving involves deco diving training, it is not for everyone...

Someone mentioned that you still need to obtain the equipment, that is an additionnal hurdle.

Some people will read the (well written) material, and say "hey, this looks easy, let's do it".

I've seen this in motorcycle riding. They created a system in france where you can buy & drive a 125cc motorcycle with only training and paperwork relevant to a car.

Needless to say the fatalities exploded since then, they are still trying to see if speed is the culprit....(no, it just aggravates the issue..).

I agree this is not logical, that it is a shame, but I'm sure this is the reason behind it. To protect those small % of people who have no idea of what they are getting into.

Extreme sports (base jumping, extreme skydiving) are often poorly documented..

Ever wondered why ?

I personally am very interested in deco diving and the details of how it works, even though I don't plan to go this route anytime soon. I'm just curious. And I would support the said project with what I can do.

caribou:
If the idea looks so good and it doesn't exist yet...it means one of two things :

Im sorry, I think you missed my first post in this thread. THERE IS a book like that, it is called

Dive Physiology in Plain Enlish the authors name is Dr. Jolie Bookspan

This book looks interesting. I've been looking at several web sites (borders, amazon) and can't find it. Do you where I would have more luck ?

http://www.drbookspan.com/books.html

This was the first link that Google brought up, Im sure you can find it at different prices. I got mine at a dive shop. I highly recomend it. It was requrired reading for our Master scuba diver class (NAUI)

WaterDawg:
Im sorry, I think you missed my first post in this thread. THERE IS a book like that, it is called

Dive Physiology in Plain Enlish the authors name is Dr. Jolie Bookspan

Does it make the link between the science, the various deco models and the practices employed by divers?

It would certainly be pointless to reinvent the wheel.

I've also found out that PADI or DSAT has a publication along the same lines too. I don't know anything about that but it's clear that we'd have to research what's out there a little better.

R..

WaterDawg:
http://www.drbookspan.com/books.html

This was the first link that Google brought up, Im sure you can find it at different prices. I got mine at a dive shop. I highly recomend it. It was requrired reading for our Master scuba diver class (NAUI)

Can you post the ISBN number please.

Thx.
R..

I'd like to see a book that gave you enough background with a clear enough presentation to actually implement RGBM or VPM.

Dive Physiology in Plain English does not do all that you were talking about wanting to add to your book. It does go into great detail about decompression and what goes on physiologically.

I've read excerpts from Dr. Bookspan's book, and I don't think it's what Diver0001 was envisioning. Unless the new PADI materials are, I don't think there is such a reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom