Deco for dummies - the book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Who would we need? (I can think of a few names .... one of whom suddenly has some free time :wink: )

Did you retire? Congratulations!

Cheers,
Bill.

No, Dr. Deco did.

TSandM:
No, Dr. Deco did.

Oooh, that's right. This could be good.

Bill.

Diver0001,

I would be willing to help and also be interested in purchasing the end product.

I think there should be a section on mathematics in the appendix though, as a suggestion, sort of a bonus or if the reader is interested in more detail, read here section (unless you're planning a sequel for continued sales revenue).

I'll have to see what direction my job takes me in 2006 though - there's a potential for me doing a LOT of traveling this year, so I might be limited to doing not a lot more than an editorial review and markup of a math section if one is included. I should know better by the end of January.

I'd also like a review and comment by some of the attorneys on this board regarding potential liabilities for contributors if this goes forward much. I can't count my courtroom experiences as some of the more pleasant days I've had in my life.

Man tons of books on deco out in the stores & on the web tons and tons, some new,some old, a year or so and its old stuff! and all the other stuff that go's with it.But The new software and stuff basicly walks you thru a dive plan,on O-2,Ean,Tri-mix,Deco stops and off gas mixes, but you cant be dumb,as you need the equipment,and training to do it!
But to get the feel,run some tables and see how it works the software is free to try,but dont use it! it is to show not go due to offsets,and dont use it after you pay for it if they would sell it to you on some deep deco dive unless you have the training.
That said here are just a few like departure,V-planner,Nautilus thease sites lead to the links to the studys and tests,and trials,old and new GO For IT!
www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner/index.html
www.diverssupport.com/index.html
Dive Safe,Dive Deep, and stay long!
Brad

The software may be easy to use, but understanding how it's put together, where the algorithms came from, how they differ from one another, and what research has been done to validate them and how that research was done are other matters altogether. And finding something that is written in English (and I majored in math) is yet another challenge.

As far as I know, it's a pretty well accepted principle that you can write a book on a subject, and not be liable for what some idiot does with the information you provide. Otherwise, nobody would ever be able to write a book about hang gliding . . . or scuba diving, either :)

No problemo - I withdraw my offer. Let me know when the end product is available.

WaterDawg:
I would too. Wait...er...actually I already did. Its called Dive Physiology in Plain English by Dr. Jolie Bookspan....GREEEEEAT BOOK!

Took some searching, but did find it here. Mine is on the way.

I would be interested in the finished product. Haven't seen Dive Physiology in Plain English, but something between the Navy manual and Weinke's books would be great. I understand the how and the basics of the why (not doing it yet though...just curious) but Weinke's book made my head spin and that is with a background in math and a bit of background in physiology.

I want a copy!

Additional content that would seem inevitable is various dive tables, in order to concretely link theory to practice.

Content I'd love to see published is math models for the various tissue loading algorithms. This would be a logical end point of exploring what we think we know.

Tissue loading models would also be valuable to those who care about or write desktop computer dive logs but don't have the info necessary to construct tissue loading presentations to go along with dive data uploaded from dive computers.

I'd hope that altitude diving and no-fly-or-drive knowledge could be presented in depth.

Ready by Christmas? eyebrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom