Deep 6 is NOT a "Self Service" model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@cerich said:
... or you can send to us and we will get them turned around pretty quickly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Akimbo
replied;

Hmmm, factory service or a local dive shop with a pimple-faced kid that repairs outboards on the same bench. I don't need an app to sort that one out. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My response....

Laugh !

I doubt it if my pants will ever dry !

Sam Miller, III

Not to be confrontive (really) by why? I've been servicing my own regs for ~ 15 years. I have a mix of diaphragm and piston (Scubapro, Sherwood, Aqualung, Oceanic, Mares). Frankly I'm starting to get annoyed with piston, Scubapro particularly. They are fussier, harder to get a solid IP on, more likely to squeal if something isn't just right, and far more prone to contamination. In real diving I don't see any advantage of them. Diaphragm work just as well.
I find them to be much more reliable, no tricks to make them perform and since I’m pretty much just running Atomic sealed they are no more prone to contamination than a diaphragm. The only regulators I have ever had a problem with in 47 years were diaphragm and a MK 15 that did love to squeal but that was a bad design to start with. That’s just my experience.

any shop can service them because we gave you the spare kits and will be happy to send ANY dive shop the service manual.

So if someone comes to my shop with Deep 6 regs my first reaction is that without manufacturer training and authorization to service those regulators, I am put in a position where my liability insurance may not want to cover me if that diver runs out of air using regs I just serviced with no specific training on that brand. I only service regs if I have a certificate from the manufacturer hanging on the wall.
How do you overcome this liability concern?

I understand the need to clarify that they can be serviced by the user or by an affiliated service provider. But I also wish that it didn't need to be clarified. This is the model that all reg vendors should be running under.

tx"happy Deep6 user"goose

I only service regs if I have a certificate from the manufacturer hanging on the wall.
I teach the course about this reg. It's open to you as well as any person.

So if someone comes to my shop with Deep 6 regs my first reaction is that without manufacturer training and authorization to service those regulators, I am put in a position where my liability insurance may not want to cover me if that diver runs out of air using regs I just serviced with no specific training on that brand. I only service regs if I have a certificate from the manufacturer hanging on the wall.
How do you overcome this liability concern?
How does the local auto service shop?

You are a trained reg tech by other brands yes? You are able to get the service manual and communicate with the manuf (Deep 6) with any questions you have and are to the manuf. fully authorized to work on the reg. Considering some brands have had people watch 40 min video's or take a half day class with no previous reg service experience.. just saying. Our regs are very easy to service for a trained tech. Just saying.

I teach the course about this reg. It's open to you as well as any person.
Pete, when you worked in the auto repair biz, did you turn away cars that had tires from another brand or specific vehicles that your techs didn't have manuf training in? Curious minds and all.

Are brakes life support and did you guys do brakes?

How does the local auto service shop?

You are a trained reg tech by other brands yes? You are able to get the service manual and communicate with the manuf (Deep 6) with any questions you have and are to the manuf. fully authorized to work on the reg. Considering some brands have had people watch 40 min video's or take a half day class with no previous reg service experience.. just saying. Our regs are very easy to service for a trained tech. Just saying.

If I change the oil in your car and you end up getting hit by a train later that day because "you thought you could make it" that isn't my fault and nobody would ever try to say it was.
If I service your regulator and you run out of air on your single-tank 40M dive because you never bothered checking your air or your time I can pretty much guarantee a lawyer is going to come looking for me.

If you would be willing to send a written service authorization based on my other authorizations I would gladly advertise Deep 6 service. I actually have one of your service manuals and your reg looks just about identical to a brand I service all the time so my comfort level in doing the work is not a concern. The authorization would ease my liability concern.

If I change the oil in your car and you end up getting hit by a train later that day because "you thought you could make it" that isn't my fault and nobody would ever try to say it was.
If I service your regulator and you run out of air on your single-tank 40M dive because you never bothered checking your air or your time I can pretty much guarantee a lawyer is going to come looking for me.

If you would be willing to send a written service authorization based on my other authorizations I would gladly advertise Deep 6 service. I actually have one of your service manuals and your reg looks just about identical to a brand I service all the time so my comfort level in doing the work is not a concern. The authorization would ease my liability concern.
that is easy and change you example from oil to brakes.

Back
Top Bottom