Deep Air Diving - thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been quite an interesting ride, reading all the posts - I'm appreciate all the info - but am still going to stick with the original plan - do some deep air dives to roughly 150-180 in a controlled environment (i.e. being watched by an instructor), get my extended range, and determine my level of tolerance for narcosis (to my knowledge I've never "felt" narc'd but the deepest I've been so far is 145' - i'm sure I was but I was able to complete tasks for my deco proc class) . After doing that, I plan to get the trimix training.

170 posts from the OP - wow.. I feel loved. ;-)

D.

Make sure you take your SpareAir with you. (might as well keep it going...it's been so much fun this far...) :D

Make sure you take your SpareAir with you. (might as well keep it going...it's been so much fun this far...) :D
I'm sure when he is narked it will look like a nice pony bottle.

looks like this threads been done to death but I'll still throw in my 2 cents. I've been below 220 on air many times and I'm OK with it. However, I've seen experienced divers freak out at 110. If your going to do it make sure all you equipment is good and your dive buddy is better. also don't be ignorant, your going to have alot of deco. get a good coputer, download vplanner, or both. Advanced nitrox will teach you about deco gasses. a pony bottle of O2 can shave your deco time by 75%
Its dangerous, but possible and its being done. just make sure you understand all the risks your taking before you take them!
Have fun

Advanced nitrox will teach you about deco gasses. a pony bottle of O2 can shave your deco time by 75%
Its dangerous, but possible and its being done. just make sure you understand all the risks your taking before you take them!
Have fun
Maybe you should take a adv nitrox/deco class and you would know whats wrong with this reply

The other possibility is the Hydrogen may start to replace Helium in deep breathing gases. Although more expensive at present, if Hydrogen fuel cells start to develop as an alternative energy system, that may change.

hydrogen fuel cells are a largely idiotic idea outside of NASA and a few other specialty applications. at best it functions as a poor battery converting the energy input into creating hydrogen gas. at worst you get it from natural gas which means that it suffers from "peak natural gas" issues and you burn so much natural gas cracking it to make hydrogen that the CO2 emitted from the creation of the hydrogen gas is worse than vehicles directly fuelled from natural gas -- you've just transferred the emissions from the tailpipe to the plant which creates the hydrogen. carbon capture technology could be used at the plant, but that technology is unproven and quite possibly not viable in terms of expense.

Here's one major thing that keeps me from doing it.

If a buddy and I are narc'ed and he has an emergency, I'm slower to respond because I'm narc'ed as well, and he ends up dying, how will I feel? How do YOU feel about a diver who's too concerned about the cost of helium to ensure you're both safe?

I stack the odds in my favor, if it's too expensive to dive helium (which for me it is), I keep all my diving around the 100ft range until I can afford to go deeper as safely as possible.

hydrogen fuel cells are a largely idiotic idea outside of NASA and a few other specialty applications. at best it functions as a poor battery converting the energy input into creating hydrogen gas. at worst you get it from natural gas which means that it suffers from "peak natural gas" issues and you burn so much natural gas cracking it to make hydrogen that the CO2 emitted from the creation of the hydrogen gas is worse than vehicles directly fuelled from natural gas -- you've just transferred the emissions from the tailpipe to the plant which creates the hydrogen. carbon capture technology could be used at the plant, but that technology is unproven and quite possibly not viable in terms of expense.

Fuel cells are hardly idiotic. Fuel cells are not used to create hydrogen gas, they use hydrogen gas and oxygen to create electrical energy. The waste product is water. They are just about as clean as they come. However, they are not, as of yet, very efficient. And the other question is how much energy is needed and how much waste do you create to make the hydrogen the fuel cell uses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom