Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
uhuh, 1000s of hours of deep commercial wrench turning on cheap surfaced supplied air and 38 yrs of recreational instruction don't mean much in places like Eagle's Nest. Or on the Monitor, or Brittanic. Technical divers actually doing real deal dives don't start trolls like this thread.

You don't have any idea of my diving experience, yet you belittle it. You really must have a high opinion of yourself. Lectured to by an amateur. :shakehead:

uhuh, 1000s of hours of deep commercial wrench turning on cheap surfaced supplied air and 38 yrs of recreational instruction don't mean much in places like Eagle's Nest. Or on the Monitor, or Brittanic. Technical divers actually doing real deal dives don't start trolls like this thread.

I don't know enough about commercial diving and what it's like to agree or disagree.

The only real 'working dives' I've done (net removal) were probably not my most challenging, but on the other hand I appreciated helium more than ever.

Rolling up hundreds of pounds of net, pulling them taught, sawing through them with hand tools (we probably weren't the best equipped...), literally working up a sweat and to the point of exhaustion (I got to the point where I couldn't saw any more) while at 150 feet... I appreciated how easy it was to breathe, and with CO2 in mind, on air I probably would have been narked out of my tree (not the best combination with zero viz and working with blades and a crazy Swede - pictured below courtesy of LimeyX).

692616809_GWRCz-O.jpg

...and show how small and petty they really are.

I rarely venture out from the DIR section with a DIR opinion with the exceptions of posts from divers continuing to misinform about outdated and unsafe practices like deep air. The only reason why I do venture out is in the hope of highlighting the potential dangers of said practices to newer divers that read these threads in the hope that they will thoroughly educate themselves on the risks instead of blindly following an instructor.

It's sad that the guys that are pointing out the risks of deep air are the ones that are "small and petty" :depressed:

It's sad that the guys that are pointing out the risks of deep air are the ones that are "small and petty" :depressed:

It's not the pointing out the risks of deep air that makes them small and petty, it's their language, tone, disrespect, lack of humility, inability to move position at all or see another's, and general ignorance that belittles them.

J

Isn't respect something that's earned? :confused:

I'm talking about common courtesy. You don't have to earn common courtesy.

Knock yourself out playing with my words, the basic point is if you have to insult someone to try to win your argument you've already lost in my book.

J

Sloth,

No, I have no problem with anyone who puts forth an intelligent point regardless of which side of the coin they are on. I always appreciate good insights...Period.

What I don't appreciate is small and petty posters who insult every other training agency but their own, Instructors like Lenny whom they have never met (I have met him) and who insult every commercial diver out of hand because they have a pickle up their arse about Wayne. While they may think they are championing their style of diving they really just cast a poor shadow on it.

Fortunately for me, I have had the good fortune to talk to both UTD and GUE instructors locally, those involved in a DIR mentoring group, one of the founders of the DIR system, and many other DIR style divers to know that is not what DIR/GUE/UTD is about.

I will toot my horn for a second and tell you that I am a pretty smart person. The reason I think I am smart is because I am willing to listen. I am willing to be a small fish in a big pond and set my ego aside to let the other person tell me what they know. I'm 46 and I move in circles where people still call me kid.

So, while you may feel that your (or others) message about He isn't being properly perceived by others you can rest assure that the smart people are listening and appreciate your POV. It is just that we are also willing to listen to, and appreciate, someone who expresses a counter POV. Some people just have to have enough faith in the inherent intelligence of the listener that, at the end of the day, they will make the right decision.

Resorting to personal insults and blanket putdowns just smacks of a fear that ones POV is not valid based on its own merit, or, that the listener is too stupid to decipher the information for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom