Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the ones who can't bring themselves to admit that they can perform the very same dive without spending all that money on helium and bring along all that paraphernalia(always difficult to admit you've been taken in:D) I've long since banned the DIR brigade from diving with me:seeing them makes me laugh so much that I always risk to drown:)...and yes industry impositions has very much to do with it,but it seems,at least 'round here in Europe,especially Italy,France and maybe Spain, that their malackery has finally been given itself away.Oh,and thanks for worrying so much about my safety but I can take care of myself.
I don't consider deep air anything shallower than 40m.

Personally I really dive helium as a social status symbol. I love rubbing my wealth in the face of all you low class urchins. Of course I could save millons of $ diving air but then how else will I stand out from the riff raff on a dive boat? I will gladly continue to pay $100 a cuft for helium.

Personally I really dive helium as a social status symbol. I love rubbing my wealth in the face of all you low class urchins. Of course I could save millons of $ diving air but then how else will I stand out from the riff raff on a dive boat? I will gladly continue to pay $100 a cuft for helium.

so true.

Air is for peasants.

You're such a snooty snob, Sloth.

Ok so here's what happened with the neon. He came across an outlet of a well known commercial gas supplier that had a small batch of analytical grade neon that didn't have enough moisture to have electricity arc correctly. So the guy at the gas shop offered it to him cheaper than helium. He checked out the MSDS for that particular batch and it all came more than clean enough to breath, so he bought it.

It probably was a case of having some cylinders taking up shop space and not being able to get rid of those cylinders easily or in a timely manner. He can't sell it to neon sign manufacturers. So it may have been something like, "take away this problem from my hands and I'll give it to you for a good price".

I thought air was for tires...

Back to the future, deep air baby!!

Your commercial orientation is obvious here, which is fine but not applicable to many other conditions and dives done "deep" on OC, SCR, and CCR in caves and in wrecks too. Hence the reason some many people take issue with your positions on deep air, narcosis etc. I do find it interesting that you aren't posing the same provocative questions on the more (recreational) technical forums. RBW, thetechdiver, TDS etc.

Is this not in the technical area? I didn't expect to have any credit given to my 10's of thousands of hours of commercial diving experience (after all what could I have possibly learned with years of time spent under pressure)? But after 38 years of teaching recreational diving, I would have thought that I could stand toe-to-toe with anyone here and not be seen only as a commercial diver. Go figure...

Not really this board is too PC.

uhuh, 1000s of hours of deep commercial wrench turning on cheap surfaced supplied air and 38 yrs of recreational instruction don't mean much in places like Eagle's Nest. Or on the Monitor, or Brittanic. Technical divers actually doing real deal dives don't start trolls like this thread.

Is this not in the technical area? I didn't expect to have any credit given to my 10's of thousands of hours of commercial diving experience (after all what could I have possibly learned with years of time spent under pressure)? But after 38 years of teaching recreational diving, I would have thought that I could stand toe-to-toe with anyone here and not be seen only as a commercial diver. Go figure...

Change your avatar. Stop bringing up your oh so many hours in sat whenever you get challenged. Start teaching for a real agency. Do some dives where you're not just the dope on a rope. Then maybe people will give you the credit that you seem to need to crave.

Talk talk blah blah talk talk talk blah blah

Real diving using helium: Cave Diving Eagles Nest Sink Upstream & Downstream HD on Vimeo

I have no affliation with Becky and Dave, its not me in the footage, and they are all on CCRs so while I dive DIR don't go sayin' its all a GUE conspiracy to use up the world's helium. You just can't do superb quality work like this on ENDs >100ft.

Technical divers actually doing real deal dives don't start trolls like this thread

...they just post in them

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom