Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously Posted by nadwidny "Start teaching for a real agency."
Posted by DCBC "Which agency do you recommend? Which one do you teach for?"

Do you want to know for real or are you just playing?

Again, which instructional agency would you recommend? I'm open to hearing your wisdom on this issue.

Which instructional agency do you teach through? How long have you been teaching? Why do you feel it superior to the other agencies? I suspect that you have been certified by several instructor agencies, so you are informed to comment on them.

I have instructor experience with PADI, NAUI, IDEA, ACUC, CMAS, DCBC and IMCA. I'm especially interested in your comments pertaining to these agencies. You made a comment, so I'd like to know why you have been so negative.

You don't have any idea of my diving experience, yet you belittle it. You really must have a high opinion of yourself. Lectured to by an amateur. :shakehead:

The title of your thread is "Deep Air - Here we go again.... " You did a great job at getting a rise and rallying the deep air troops. Funny thing is, you've never posted a dive report, a deco profile, a video, or pictures - here or anywhere else to my knowledge.

The incidence of aseptic bone necrosis in commercial diving is testimony enough to the leading edge standards and practices of the "professional" industry.

Funny thing is, you've never posted a dive report, a deco profile, a video, or pictures - here or anywhere else to my knowledge.

I was unaware that I was "to post a dive report, deco profile, a video or pictures" to attempt to impress the masses? You really are full of yourself aren't you?

You become trimix certified less than two years and now you're looking down on the experience of others? Perhaps you would like to relate your experience with tidal caves hot shot. How about saturation, one of your many +1000' dives perhaps? A few hundred hours of experience and you're lecturing others on diving? What a rookie.

I rarely venture out from the DIR section with a DIR opinion with the exceptions of posts from divers continuing to misinform about outdated and unsafe practices like deep air. The only reason why I do venture out is in the hope of highlighting the potential dangers of said practices to newer divers that read these threads in the hope that they will thoroughly educate themselves on the risks instead of blindly following an instructor.

It's sad that the guys that are pointing out the risks of deep air are the ones that are "small and petty" :depressed:

The trick to getting a message across to any audience is saying it in a way that makes them want to hear it.

Otherwise, you are really just talking to the people who already agree with what you have to say ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was unaware that I was "to post a dive report, deco profile, a video or pictures" to attempt to impress the masses? You really are full of yourself aren't you?

You become trimix certified less than two years and now you're looking down on the experience of others? Perhaps you would like to relate your experience with tidal caves hot shot. How about saturation, one of your many +1000' dives perhaps? A few hundred hours of experience and you're lecturing others on diving? What a rookie.

And all you keep doing is spouting how great you are because you have thousands of dives and have been teaching like 60 years, oh and are a commercial diver. That does not mean $h!# if you have been doing it wrong all these years (not that I am saying you have as I have not dove with you)!

I was on a boat with an old time instructor (years of teaching thousands of dives) last year that was the scariest diver I have ever been with. He was a full Trimix instructor who also teaches deep air with PSAI. He could not even touch his valves let alone turn one off if he had a problem. His gear was the most convoluted mess I have seen in person. There is a picture of a spear fisher on the board somewhere that is the only diver I have seen more messed up. This guy talked a good game but If he had a problem on the 200’ dive we where doing he would have been in big trouble.

haave any of you heard of or are aware of any progress in the use of hydrox?
Hydrox is pretty much a relic of the past, the province of old-timers who were trained "when men were men." :shakehead:

These days we know better, and people who are properly trained opt for Oreos--dipped in milk.

hydrox.jpg

And all you keep doing is spouting how great you are because you have thousands of dives and have been teaching like 60 years, oh and are a commercial diver. That does not mean $h!# if you have been doing it wrong all these years (not that I am saying you have as I have not dove with you)!

Perhaps you might quote one post where I've started-off by boasting of my accomplishments and demeaning another diver for theirs? Anyone can say anything about another person without proof. Show me, or kindly keep such comments to yourself.

You say that you don't know if I've "been doing it wrong all these years," but pose the question and then go on to talk about someone else...

I was on a boat with an old time instructor (years of teaching thousands of dives) last year that was the scariest diver I have ever been with. He was a full Trimix instructor who also teaches deep air with PSAI. He could not even touch his valves let alone turn one off if he had a problem. His gear was the most convoluted mess I have seen in person. There is a picture of a spear fisher on the board somewhere that is the only diver I have seen more messed up. This guy talked a good game but If he had a problem on the 200’ dive we where doing he would have been in big trouble.

Would you please relate how this has anything to do with me? I too have seen "technical divers" who I wouldn't let out of the pool. Should I relate this on this thread as proof that all technical divers are a bunch of boneheads? Certainly not, that would be unfair, unwise and inaccurate.

I know technical divers that are quite competent. Perhaps you are one of these; I don't know. I would however like to give you the benefit of the doubt until you have proven to me that this isn't the case. A little bit of civility goes a long way.

When the name calling starts, it's time to unsubscribe the thread...

What Trace said on the other Deep Air Thread, humorously sums this all up nicely (again with "dignity" ) :) :

The Final Outcome - Pro's and Con's of Deep Air Diving

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro's and Con's of Deep Air Diving

Pro: You have the freedom to make your own choices and decide what risks you are willing to assume.
Con: You may die underwater, but doing what you love. Internet bullies will make fun of you, call you names, and slander your dignity.

Pro's and Con's of Trimix Diving

Pro: You will probably live a very long time and have built up a good reputation for yourself online and within your local diving community.
Con: You'll be able to feel superior to the deep air divers who died underwater as you take your last gasps of breath in a nursing home bed, neglected, alone, covered with your own filth and bed sores, but you'll die with dignity.

Pro's and Con's of Rebreather Diving

Pro: You'll save lots of money on trimix and be doing your part to reduce demand on the world's supply of helium.
Con: That machine will probably kill you, and if your death is due to a mechanical failure rather than pilot error, you get to die doing what you love and with dignity without being slandered on the Internet.

Pro's and Con's of Deep Freediving

Pro: No one really knows if you are doing something safe or not when you are diving, so no one has an opinion.
Con: You'll probably suffer a deep or shallow water blackout and die with little pain doing what you love, but since you aren't a way for divers to enhance their Internet presence, you'll probably be laid to rest peacefully with dignity.

This is what I've learned about deep diving from the Internet.
PDIC Technical Training Director, ITE #2075
PSAI Instructor Trainer #791
TDI Instructor #12864
Train safe & smart at: Tech Expeditions
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4851751-post141.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom