Deep Air Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seadeuce:
The biggest danger is believing that because you have done it safely you CAN ALWAYS do it safely.

Narcosis is for suckers ;-))
Amen brutha! Arrogance and water don't go together for long.

My experience is that once you make these dives, you don't want to do it again. It's not fun and diving should be fun.

Frankly, I can't think of a reason why your buddy would be at 180 feet unless you have a stupid buddy, I say solve the stupid buddy problem.

I rarely go below 130ft. on air as my back gas....though I have been in the mid 160's with no negative effects (I don't recommend it to anyone,,just like I never recommend solo diving though I am an avid solo diver myself). My deeper diving is all done on trimix.... :eyebrow: I think extended range air training is good for long shallower treks though. For anyone wishing to do deep diving just get the training and proper gear---it is affordable and available....well worth your time and investment.

Simple Question.

Am I Farm Animal Stupid for doing dives to 150 feet on air in the Caribbean?
Double 80's,Al 40 deco tank. 80 degree water. 100 foot viz.No overhead (except deco)

A) Yes
B) No

TheRedHead:
My experience is that once you make these dives, you don't want to do it again. It's not fun and diving should be fun.
I'm sure there are a ton of divers that would think..."I survived..ergo, its all good. Dude...Lets do this again next week! Those weenies that need helium for these dives just need to grow a set of steel nuts."

JeffG:
I'm sure there are a ton of divers that would think..."I survived..ergo, its all good. Dude...Lets do this again next week! Those weenies that need helium for these dives just need to grow a set of steel nuts."

I made those dives with an instructor who would do mean things like go OOA and turn a valve off. It wasn't fun. You quickly realize how impaired you really are.

TheRedHead:
I made those dives with an instructor who would do mean things like go OOA and turn a valve off. It wasn't fun. You quickly realize how impaired you really are.
Was he on AIR at the time?

ianr33:
Am I Farm Animal Stupid for doing dives
Only YOU can determine your "bovine instinct" while making decisions on the surface.

However, it is my philosophy that the deeper you go, the higher your bovine instinct (your prediliction to think like a cow) will become. At the surface, our natural bovine instinct (NBI) can range from about 0.05 to 0.3. There are many factors that will affect your actual BI number on any given day. Now consider the BI equation. (depth/20)x 0.1 will give you your SBI (Submerged Bovine Instinct) so add your SBI to your NBI to get to your TBI (Total Bovine Instinct).

Obviously a dive to 180 feet will add 0.9 to your base BI and at that depth you are essentially a cow. Now it's essential to note that cows have little idea whether they are narced or not: it's just part of being a cow. So when you hear someone claim they "don't get narced" or they "have never been narced", rest assured that you are hearing the cow moo and not the real diver. The best way to determine your state of narcosis is to rely on the Bovine Instinct calculations.

But what about all those people who dive to these depths and WORK? Well, I once saw a cow skiing at Cypress Gardens when I was a kid. Cows even make silly commercials now adays. I still don't want to think like one!

NetDoc:
Only YOU can determine your "bovine instinct" while making decisions on the surface.

However, it is my philosophy that the deeper you go, the higher your bovine instinct (your prediliction to think like a cow) will become. At the surface, our natural bovine instinct (NBI) can range from about 0.05 to 0.3. There are many factors that will affect your actual BI number on any given day. Now consider the BI equation. (depth/20)x 0.1 will give you your SBI (Submerged Bovine Instinct) so add your SBI to your NBI to get to your TBI (Total Bovine Instinct).

Obviously a dive to 180 feet will add 0.9 to your base BI and at that depth you are essentially a cow. Now it's essential to note that cows have little idea whether they are narced or not: it's just part of being a cow. So when you hear someone claim they "don't get narced" or they "have never been narced", rest assured that you are hearing the cow moo and not the real diver. The best way to determine your state of narcosis is to rely on the Bovine Instinct calculations.

But what about all those people who dive to these depths and WORK? Well, I once saw a cow skiing at Cypress Gardens when I was a kid. Cows even make silly commercials now adays. I still don't want to think like one!

Was that a YES or a NO ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom