DEEP DEEP diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there is a 4th type:

CURIOUS!!! They are not interested in risks or procedures but are more interested in what is it down there that would make someone after 7 dives go to that depth! :eyebrow:

SeaHound:
Actually there is a 4th type:

CURIOUS!!! They are not interested in risks or procedures but are more interested in what is it down there that would make someone after 7 dives go to that depth!
I don't give a s**t about that either. Whatever it is, it's not worth anybodys life.

SeaHound:
Scrolling back and reading these posts from the beginning to the end made me realize that there are 3 different psychologies at work on this board.

1. Those who are truly concerned for the life of a new guy and want to warn him about the danger - discourage him even. They will share information, point out the risks involved etc

2. Those who are uncomfortable with the idea that a guy with 7 dives wants to do something they dont have the guts to do after 100 dives! It makes them feel small. Results in personal insults against the individual rather than any technical diving releated discussion.

3. Irrepressible optimists who immediately start thinking about how the feat can be acheived. Instead of pointing out the risks they will reply with detailed information on training, techniques, money involved etc.

Everyone who has contributed to this post can be broken into the above 3 categories. There is no 4th type. So all you guys who have replied, thanks a lot but take some time, scroll back and read your posts. It will tell you where you belong in the above 3 types
From what I've read, probably 99.9% are in category 1. At least at first.

SeaHound, during one of my scuba classes (DIRF) we did a little experiment that was very sobering. I suggest you try it on your next dive.

The object is to drop to 40 feet then come back up.. on a schedule. 30 second move, 30 second stop at each 10 feet. Take 30 seconds to descend to 10 feet, stop there for 30 seconds. Take another 30 seconds to descent do 20 feet, stop there for 30 seconds. Do the same on the way up. If you did it right, you will surface at exactly 8 minutes into your dive.

Sounds easy right? Try it out. It's more difficult than I was able to imagine.

Now imagine your life relying on making those stops and maintaining a deco schedule that requires you to be that exact, with the added problems of gas switches, multiple tanks, etc. This is of course assuming nothing went wrong during the dive. Now imagine trying to do this task - which you can't in the first place - with the task loading of gas switches and up lines, but with no mask, a missing fin, and suddenly at 40 feet a freeflowing first stage on one of your tanks. Still think you can maintain the schedule and ascent rates?

That stuff is *damned* tough. Seriously, go do the experiment. Then think about doing another dozen things while you're bumbling around like my entire class was.

Actually, the forty-ft. experiment is not a bad idea.

Small problem: the orginal poster seems to believe that whatever it is that he will be too narced to video properly once he gets down there is worth the huge risk to his neck. I have seen much good advice in this thread to see it ignored.

If you want the risks spelled out:

Narcosis will be a severe problem at that depth. Try managing a video camera to boot. Now, with a small number of dives is the diver's brain going to have it's underwater instincts re-tuned to be able to handle a simple emergency like entanglement? Forget using tri-mix to clear the narcosis at this point. No reputable tri-mix training agency will do the training with this small of a number of dives. Maybe it would be better to wait until you can do the dive more safely with tri-mix.

Gas management: With the limited number of dives, the diver probably won't have the experience necessary to move underwater with all the attendant gear/gas to do this safely. This is a case of experience being more necessary than fast training.

Buoyancy control at deco stops: Can you do this in open water with no visual reference? You may have to do this for more than an hour if you execute this dive regardless. When you have to, it is near sucidical to do this in a short period of time from now (ie with extremely limited experience).

I could add more, but that list is already going around as it were. In short remember the lessons learned by people like Christropher Murley. I don't think that I can be more blunt, yet more polite at the same time.

This guy is reminiscent of the stereotypical doctor who gets his pilot's certificate flying a Cessna 150 and suddenly thinks he can fly a Bonanza.

headhunter:
Mike,

With all due respect, I think armyscuba's post may have been misinterpreted.

I read it more like this (my paraphrase with lots of liberties taken to fill in the gaps):

[If you want to dive deep then go ahead and learn to dive deep. Make sure you get instruction and guidance. Everyone should encourage this new diver to reach his goals, but in doing so, encourage him to do so in a safe manner and not be too much in a hurry. Let's have our experienced divers answer as many questions as we can to set him on the right path.]

I know that's not exactly what armyscuba said, but I believe that's what he implied. Maybe we're incorrectly mistaking SeaHound's enthusiasm for stupidity.

OK, I'm now stepping away from the podium for devil's advocacy and keeping my hands OFF the keyboard and where you can see them. :)

Christian

No...this is what he said in an earlier post and this is what I was refering to...

armyscuba:
U.S. Navy Dive Tables

180 ft for 5 Minutes..Get some doubles..get a buddy..Drop a Tank, have some fun. I recommend Advanced and Rescue..Maybe 100 or 150 dives prior. Every Year many dives are done to that depth on Air, very safely too I might add.
I'm ready Dive Know it all's do Your best.. I can feel the wrath...

It looks to me like he's recommending AOW and rescue as preperation for a 180 ft dive.

I was pointing out that not only are those classes NOT deep dive training they aren't even required for the courses that are with most agencies.

I don't at all see his post as encouraging this diver to reach his goals in a safe manor.

I haven't noticed any one in this thread telling the poster that he shouldn't go film the wreck but only that he has a long way to go before he's qualified to do it.

seahound wants to dive the USS Oriskany if any of his posts on other threads are anything to go by, so everybody else, back off because it is HIS baby.

jonnythan:
SeaHound, during one of my scuba classes (DIRF) we did a little experiment that was very sobering. I suggest you try it on your next dive.

The object is to drop to 40 feet then come back up.. on a schedule. 30 second move, 30 second stop at each 10 feet. Take 30 seconds to descend to 10 feet, stop there for 30 seconds. Take another 30 seconds to descent do 20 feet, stop there for 30 seconds. Do the same on the way up. If you did it right, you will surface at exactly 8 minutes into your dive.

Sounds easy right? Try it out. It's more difficult than I was able to imagine.

That sounds interesting I will try it. Just wondering how you track 30 seconds? My BT only does minutes Count 1thousand.... 2thousand....?

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom