DEEP DEEP diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonnythan's 8 minute dive drill sounds interesting. This is how I plan to go about it:

1. Forget about ascent/descent and just spend a tank hovering at different depths (bouyancy control drill).

2. Once satisfied with the above forget about ascent rate and just spend the tank practicing descending 10 feet in 30 seconds! (descent control drill)

3. Once satisfied with the descent rate, practice ascent at 10 feet in 30 seconds! (ascent control drill)

4. Once the above 3 have been mastered THEN I will try them all together in Jonnythan's drill.

That in my opinion is the shortest/most efficent way of conquering that drill. If broken down in its components and tackled individually I believe it will take 4 days of diving to get it right. If I try the whole thing every day, then I could be practicing for months and still notmake it up in 8 minutes.

This is definately something worth giving a shot

Can I sign up for group 4?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot some more drills.

Take your mask off, close your eyes, and maintain you position at 10 feet. Then take your mask off, close your eyes, and maintain your position at 10 feet while you do an air share with your buddy. Then take your mask off and close your eyes at 40 feet, then do your ascent drill. While air sharing.

Don't take any of this as instruction of course. I'm just an AOW guy. But we did some similar stuff in my DIRF class and our miserable failure - caught on tape, so we could see how incredibly bad we were (we really had no idea before) - really made us think twice about how ready we were for tech training. Only one person in the class could maintain their position within a couple of feet with their mask off. None of us were able to do a successful air share while maintaining trim and buoyancy - and that's with *no* complicating factors such as, oh, a panicking diver who is actually out of air.

My point with all this is that, sure, you might be able to do the dive and live, if someone maybe did all your gas planning and everything for you. But the odds are probably against it. Your ability to do the dive would be at best extremely marginal, nonexistant at worst, and your ability to finish the dive with any complicating factor would be a big fat 0. You're at 200 feet, narced off of your butt, and you have a hose burst. Or your mask cracks. Or you lose a fin. Or your BC rips. Or.. whatever. You would be instantly task loaded beyond your ability to cope with the situation and your ability to finish the dive would be completely comprimised.

Go through the right channels, take your AOW, your nitrox, your advanced nitrox, intro to trimix, decompression training, etc etc. By the time you make it through some of these classes, hopefully, you will have figured out that you have no idea what you don't know. Going to 200 feet is not a trivial step beyond going to 100 feet. I've never been below 100 feet, but I know enough to know what kind of work I need to do before I should start thinking about it.

jbd:
Can I sign up for group 4?

Me too, this is rapidly getting booring and was probably a troll right from the start by deep six or someone elses alter ego.

MikeFerrara:
No...this is what he said in an earlier post and this is what I was refering to...

It looks to me like he's recommending AOW and rescue as preperation for a 180 ft dive.

I was pointing out that not only are those classes NOT deep dive training they aren't even required for the courses that are with most agencies.

I don't at all see his post as encouraging this diver to reach his goals in a safe manor.

I haven't noticed any one in this thread telling the poster that he shouldn't go film the wreck but only that he has a long way to go before he's qualified to do it.

That's funny..because I was uner the impression that AOW covers the basics of Deep Diving..Not to 180 ft but allows the newly certified Diver to know there are procedures to Deep Diving..so once again Mike You take My words out of context. I am encouraging the Diver to do Deep Diving and do it safely. This Post has lost it's ability to do anything but become banter. I'm in agreement the Diver has no experience to go film the wreck. There are You happy NOW..someone said it

My AOW class only touched on diving below 60' with a brief rehashing of narcosis and compression of air spaces. I'd hardly call that covering the basics of deep diving.

To learn anything about diving past 130' you really need something more substantial than the treatment you'd get in an entry-level course.

A few tips to the original poster:
Contract an ROV. You have the budget for it. Even a manned sumbersible. You could take the video yourself that way.

If you do the above, you can get your video a good year faster. With more frequent dives. With more down time. In a shorter time period.

I'm really not trying to insinuate anything about anyone's intentions here, I don't know anything about the original poster, nor much about the editor offering to teach him. Just two generalities:

The last 'vagabonds' of middle-eastern origin who asked for crash-course training without regard for 'minor technical details' like taking off and landing caught the US off guard.

(This is just generalities, no flames necessary)

In retresopect, the instructors who were willing to train those individuals were acting against better judgement, and foolish in every sense. Even for reasons not related to national security.

In forwardspect, any individual who wants 'out of the ordinary' training in the USA should expect a lot more notice than the last ones.

While scuba training my seem innocous, a short list of targets might be:
Cruise liners
Naval ships
Nuclear Power Plant coolant systems
Shipping Lanes
Oil/Communication Piplelines

Again, I know little about either poster. I'm simply saying this EXACTLY fits a profile we as Americans should be more alert to.

armyscuba:
That's funny..because I was uner the impression that AOW covers the basics of Deep Diving..Not to 180 ft but allows the newly certified Diver to know there are procedures to Deep Diving..so once again Mike You take My words out of context. I am encouraging the Diver to do Deep Diving and do it safely. This Post has lost it's ability to do anything but become banter. I'm in agreement the Diver has no experience to go film the wreck. There are You happy NOW..someone said it

How did I take anything you said out of context? I quoted you exactly and asked for clearification on how AOW and rescue prepared one for a dive of that scope. Look back at what you said. If you meant something other than what you said then I am understandably confused.

ngray:
In forwardspect, any individual who wants 'out of the ordinary' training in the USA should expect a lot more notice than the last ones.

While scuba training my seem innocous, a short list of targets might be:
Cruise liners
Naval ships
Nuclear Power Plant coolant systems
Shipping Lanes
Oil/Communication Piplelines

Again, I know little about either poster. I'm simply saying this EXACTLY fits a profile we as Americans should be more alert to.

Interesting perspective...(though unfounded speculation, I hope)
If the objective was a one-way "suicide" mission from the start, and the plan was to dive on air only, I wonder if you would really need "advanced" any training at all...other than the basic OW and a little diving experience.

JAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom