Deep descent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ems_is_4_me

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Deep Descent
by Kevin F. Mcmurray
Pub. Date: July 2002
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group
Format: Paperback, 322pp
Sales Rank: 75,267
ISBN-13: 9780743400633
ISBN: 0743400631
Edition Description: Reprint

I have never been a big reader but i had a hard time setting this book down. Its about the Andrea Doria that was hit by another ship and sank. it a great read and i plan on reading it again.

On my list as one of the "best ever" books about diving.

I thought it was really well written. Didn't shy away from the deaths, but equally treated them in a sensitive manner.

I too have read this book several times. It is getting some age on it, but that is part of what makes it so interesting - reading about the authors setup on his first Doria expedition, wetsuit, dual 72s and air on the Doria. It can be (and obviously was) done.

reading about the authors setup on his first Doria expedition, wetsuit, dual 72s and air on the Doria. It can be (and obviously was) done.

Yep,no funny mixes,no deco gas,no dry suits,just big balls..... hats off!

I reread Decent a month or so ago. I know Kevin well and Garry Gilligan is my dive buddy in Long Island Sound. I lived through those days and some of the memories are still strong.

The first time I read it as galleys it caused me a lot of trouble sleeping, this second time last month the dreams weren’t so bad.

Sleep well all divers and absent friends who have passed.

I reread Decent a month or so ago. I know Kevin well and Garry Gilligan is my dive buddy in Long Island Sound. I lived through those days and some of the memories are still strong.

The first time I read it as galleys it caused me a lot of trouble sleeping, this second time last month the dreams weren’t so bad.

Sleep well all divers and absent friends who have passed.

Yes, Kevin also wrote "Dark Descent" about the "Empress of Ireland", both very good books.

Theres a lot of books on the Andrea Doria but for me the best one was by Gary Gentile "Dive to an Era" - Gary is a superb narrator and his experience on this wreck is incredible.

As a saturation diver who has been in the business for over 30 years I have incredible respect for these early pioneers of the sport.

Back
Top Bottom