Deep diving advice that goes against conventional thought?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must not understand the difference between doing it a few times in class and actually being proficient at it through repetition in real diving.

That doesn't take an IQ of 160 to figure out, but I'm sure you'll catch on.

Well Pfc, you must be right...you are probably the most dense person I have run into on this board. I'll say this once and then kindly exit this conversation so that you will be able to enjoy getting the last word in like its some kind of competition. Switching to Bailout is taught in your FIRST CCR class. Most folks I know wont train you for helium dilutent until you have MANY hours on Air dilutent. If by then you are not competent to switch to bailout and ascend, you have no business diving a CCR.

Well Pfc, you must be right...you are probably the most dense person I have run into on this board. I'll say this once and then kindly exit this conversation so that you will be able to enjoy getting the last word in like its some kind of competition. Switching to Bailout is taught in your FIRST CCR class. Most folks I know wont train you for helium dilutent until you have MANY hours on Air dilutent. If by then you are not competent to switch to bailout and ascend, you have no business diving a CCR.

Ugh. There's more to an ascent following a deep dive+Rb failure than switching a lever on your BOV or popping a reg in your mouth.

Its not about "getting the last word" (but nice try). You're attempting to oversimplify something that's not all that simple, and it paints an incorrect picture.

...... Most folks I know wont train you for helium dilutent until you have MANY hours on Air dilutent......

You win best quote of this whole thread. I would not have believed the above statement if someone had told me that. I would have laughed at them and said, no way CCR instructors are that farm animal stupid to believe that you need to train on air before you can use HE. But yet here it is, in black and white. How do you keep those CCR instructors from eating all the crayons?

And I really thought the below quote could not be beaten:

……….I enter the water expecting my physical and mental performance to deteriorate …...

Live and learn.

You win best quote of this whole thread. I would not have believed the above statement if someone had told me that. I would have laughed at them and said, no way CCR instructors are that farm animal stupid to believe that you need to train on air before you can use HE. But yet here it is, in black and white. How do you keep those CCR instructors from eating all the crayons?

And I really thought the below quote could not be beaten:

Live and learn.
i've been staying out of this one but....

actual laughter was produced.

Most folks I know wont train you for helium dilutent until you have MANY hours on Air dilutent. If by then you are not competent to switch to bailout and ascend, you have no business diving a CCR.

I came to my Prism 2 class with an OC Normoxic cert and every dive was on 21/35 as diluent, including the first day in the pool.

I came to my Prism 2 class with an OC Normoxic cert and every dive was on 21/35 as diluent, including the first day in the pool.

Out of curiosity, which agency issued your Normoxic CCR right out of the gate?

IANTD. I'm cleared to 160' and 15 min of deco if using trimix, so still limited compared to a Normoxic course.

Last edited:

IANTD. I'm cleared to 165' and 15 min of deco if using trimix, so still limited compared to a Normoxic course.

So basically you got a standard entry level CCR cert. not normoxic or hypoxic CCR, which is what I believe this sidebar is referring to.

Back
Top Bottom