Deep Sea Detectives.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
And Chatterton has returned in some cases entirely through stupid luck. I don't think that violating rule #3 ("nothing underwater is worth dying for") is a good example to set, or makes for a good role model.
Certainly luck has been a component. I have done some things underwater where the chamber or worse looked like distinct possibilities as well and some them BEFORE I started diving. Luck entered in. But with that, luck wouldn't help any of us out of anything if we weren't calm enough and had enough knowledge to take advantage. I have seen John bail on dives on the show as well. Anyone remember the ship and sub entertwined in Britian. I seem to remember two dives being scrubbed due to poor conditions.

Bottom line, the man is an old school diver. He takes risks, much as he did in his military service and throughout his life. That doesn't make him stupid and I certainly would never try to emulate the things that he has done. Keep in mind, he was one of the first divers in the North East to train in and use Tri-Mix. Why? Doesn't sound like a man who has a death wish to me. Sounds like someone who doesn't necessarily minimize his risks, but will mitigate them.

Chatterton was a battle field medic. In all honesty he risked his life many times. He violated many rules of combat too but he had his reasons and went for it.

Many of us have risked death over something stupid under water. I chased a dropped camera so deep I went into deco, and I didn't drop the camera. Stupid yes and I myself certainly wasn't being a good role model to anyone.

Is he the best diver ever? Of course not, no one can reall claim that title. But when Mike says he thinks half of the divers he has seen are better than Chatterton I take minor exception to that :) It's all opinions anyhow and we all have them.

novadiver:
Even you would find the task loading impressive if you stoped being critical of technique and thought of the fact that this show brought a true wonder of the world to your TV at home.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that I'd be impressed by the task loading :06:

As far as bringing a wonder of the world to my TV...ok but when I want to see a cave I just go dive one.
How many divers and non divers would be interested if all they talked about was O2 fractions, PPo2 at depth, END of helium. deco time and gas? they keep it dumbed down for reason. And on top of all that " He draws a paycheck" .

That's just it. It's a TV show primarily for non-divers. Loyd Bridges pulled it off and I don't think he ever even went diving until after Sea Hunt was canceled.

Al Mialkovsky:
Not in the top half of the world Mike?

When I see them dive a wreck or a cave on TV I compare them to other divers I've seen on wrecks or in caves.
Well I think you must have some dislike of Chatterton for some reason.

Not at all I don't know him. I don't care much for the show though or the way they portray diving.
Maybe you're talking about his techniques or something along those lines. If you're talking about diving accomplishments then I'd place him close to the top because very few of us have gone the places Chatterton has gone, and returned.

I know divers who are exploring cool new caves and surveying deep wrecks on a weekly basis...they're not on TV though.

Maybe in the context of the general population "very few of us have gone the places Chatterton has gone, and returned."[/QUOTE] but certainly not in the context of wreck and cave divers.

In fact, one of the things that I don't like about the show is that half the dives are weennie dives and they make them out to be some kind of big dangerous deal. Senstionalism at its finest. There are bigger, more hair raising dives going on every single weekend all over in places like the Fl or Missouri caves, Great Lakes wrecks and who knows where else....and they're done well...just not on TV.

Some of us are not talking about the dives that you see on TV. You are right about those. Face facts, on the really dangerous stuff, you couldn't get a camera crew to follow you in or that could fit.

The fact of the matter is that I make a comparison (being a hockey fan) between Wayne Gretzsky and Mario Lemieux. They both advanced their sport. I have seen both play and say that Mario was a better player. Why is the other one perceived as better? Because, he took the time to spend with the press and was still better than most. Mario just wanted to go home after games and the press practically had to chase him down. One advanced their sport by showing things that nobody else could do (like the cavers/ wreck divers that you refer to). The other was better than most and showed a love of the sport (like John Chatterton) and was willing to share it with the general public.

The fact of the matter is that I (for one) don't have the time and money to do the kind of penetration diving that John Chatterton has done off the show. That is training to a level that I have recently come to the conclusion that I would have to give up too much diving in recreational depths to do. I have to pick and choose my battles and that money/time is not in the budget. You won't see me on the Doria, in a cave, much less on the Brittanic or Lusitania or exploring U-869. I also realize that his (and especially Ritchie Kohler's) rig is not exactly the current standard of wreck penetration. Gee, I have heard the same about another NE wreck diver and author named Gary Gentile.

Also, I actually appreciate the time that they spend in the library or talking to local experts instead of just diving and finding what they can find. Truth is that I imagine that the habit comes from the "artifact collecting days" when the research was used to find the best cubbyholes for prime artifacts. But the fact of the matter is that the history is interesting. And someone should check-out what came up about the sinking of the Thomas Hebert after the show. I have been following a little of the conversation on the DSD message board. The families may have some answers and they really wouldn't if John hadn't put it on the show.

It does remind me that I need to pay attention to what I am doing topside to plan where I want to go on the wreck to get my photos.

Let's all of us stay safe!

Brian

chris hecker:
I liked her giant stride yelling,"bottoms up" I wish they would have showed the aftermath,(mouthfull of salt water) someone on another thread said she had an ooa situation?? I thought it was funny after all the preperation for the dive, the camera lightbulb burns out seconds before penetration?? also they never mentioned using a line once inside.We need shows by divers, for divers!!!!

I posted that, and have recently been learned that I was mis -informed originally.

John has probably had numerous dives on the Diego, however, as he mentioned inthe show, he had a 15 yr hiatus since he was out there before.
They never mentioned using a line once inside cause they probably did not use one.

Once there was a show by divers for divers done by Dan Berg he had a series I believe it went under the heading of "Wreck Valley" Most of the episodes are availabe on video http://www.aquaexplorers.com/

DEEPLOU:
I posted that, and have recently been learned that I was mis -informed originally.

John has probably had numerous dives on the Diego, however, as he mentioned inthe show, he had a 15 yr hiatus since he was out there before.
They never mentioned using a line once inside cause they probably did not use one.

Once there was a show by divers for divers done by Dan Berg he had a series I believe it went under the heading of "Wreck Valley" Most of the episodes are availabe on video http://www.aquaexplorers.com/
Lou,

I had forgotten about that show. I have one tape that I bought from about the Tarpon as I have an interest in submarines from my time in the service. Thanks for reminding me. I noticed that on the one that I watched, Dan didn't spend much time talking about the history of the wreck, but the underwater footage was fantastic.

Not to change the subject, did any of you see the program on discovery channel last night about great white sharks? Not a lot of diving, but great under water photography. It was an intresting show

Deep Sea Detectives isn't for divers. It's good to see that a lot of people watch and enjoy the historical aspect of the show. I've dove the caves of Missouri and Florida and was also a Discovery NOW participant, so I know the editing of a show can leave some of the best shots on the cutting room floor.

We need an icon for this sport to bring it into the mainstream and get more people diving. The only way for advances to continue in the industry is by getting more people involved. This show is a great start to that end.

sweatfrog:
Deep Sea Detectives isn't for divers. It's good to see that a lot of people watch and enjoy the historical aspect of the show.
I believe Randy makes a very important point.

The first show I saw was the one on the Mayan caves, as Jeff B. notified me by e-mail about. He lives in town. I was thrilled, cave exploration on CCRs with a diver I've know for years. I passed the info on to a well, but these days mostly warm water vacation diving couple of friends that are hooked on Discovery Channel, Nat'l Geo Channel etc.

Needless to say I was quite disappointed, and the show was torn to shreds on another board. Mega hype how they "needed" to use CCRs, silting out the cave, hammering and chisseling away on the ceiling ... there was no end to it. The show seemed more like an informercial for the Inspiration (of all CCRs) much like the more recent one for DUI.

In the middle of the thread I received a mail from those friends thanking me for the tip, that they liked the show, how beautiful it all was. What caught my eye more than anything else was "I could really see how the Mayans used to live there"!

And I realized: The show wasn't about caving, the correct finning technique, about diving ... it was about the Mayans, about history, about the historical significants of the cave.

And they liked it, liked to learn about it, to know about, liked the place ... that is what really counts.

Even with no inclination of ever getting into overhead or extended range diving, of penetrating wrecks or caves, hauling twins, stages or RBs, there were a few more people that found intrest and appreciation on a site worth supporting, protecting and keeping accessable for divers.

I even hooked one of them up with a local caver to do a guided tour in a Yacatan cavern during his next Cozumel trip. It had to be postponed due to the hurricane grazing the area, but the intrest and awareness is there.

There is much not to like about the show, and more the more you know on the subject. But remeber, we are the minority, and at times depend on non-divers to keep sites accessable or protected. May that be a reef, cave, wreck, kelp forest, or the residing wild life. And shows like DSD help educate raising intrest and awareness.

As for Melanie, the cohost some have been complaining about:
I think she fits the show pretty well. Raise intrest ... . I've met her and had some business dealings with her. She's a good person and trust me, the camera doesn't do her justice. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom