Deepest solo yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far my deepest is down to the flight deck @ 137fsw on the Oriskany 80f at depth and 200ft of visibility. I admit I was totally unprepared diving EAN28 with a single LP95 and no deco/bailout bottle. that was 2 years ago and I don't think I've solo dived since due to lack of adequate gear. I know have a set of double HP119's with an isolation valve just waiting to get wet and a 40cf will be next.

...Sea Tiger and YO-257in Oahu...
Good diving, Craig

Was this 2 seperate dives or are yuo talking about the San Pedro/YO-257 dive? The San Pedro/YO-257 is my favorite dive of all time I've been lucky enough to have done it twice now. One of my friends who lives on the island used to dive almost every weekend and is always getting skunked. Here's some video of that dive, The Sea Tiger and a few other spots.

Oahu January 2008

Billy

I have many dives up to 100' and 25 or so over 100. Most of the dives around here are 80 to 100'. So I have dove 100 a few times solo. But most of the divers I dive with have 100's of dives at 100'. My best was 132 on the Spiegel Grove. I did not start by my self but my buddy that dive cued not equalize and called he dive. I did it by my self that day. I stayed on the out side though.

Threads like this make me fear for the guy that might read it and say "Boy, I'll show those guys!"

Threads like this make me fear for the guy that might read it and say "Boy, I'll show those guys!"

I won't argue much, but I think that most people here are pretty sensible... I mean for a bunch of whack-jobs that enjoy diving alone... :wink:

So we should lie and say we never dive solo and never go deeper than 30 feet?

I prefer a simple rig, tank, harness, regulator, depth depends upon need, actually, my deepest solo dive was years ago and was 238 feet (more or less). I don't use octos, multiple levels of failure prone complex redundancy. A good Royal Aqua Master and a tank is all I need.

This is a no troll zone.

Disclaimer: YRMV

N

So we should lie and say we never dive solo and never go deeper than 30 feet?

I prefer a simple rig, tank, harness, regulator, depth depends upon need, actually, my deepest solo dive was years ago and was 238 feet (more or less). I don't use octos, multiple levels of failure prone complex redundancy. A good Royal Aqua Master and a tank is all I need.

This is a no troll zone.

N

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din" :D

I agree, by the way. Ask most instructors if it's ok to solo, and they will spout the party line "You should never dive solo." Get to know them a little, and ask if they ever solo.... you'll see the foot shuffling, throat clearing, the quick glances to see if anyone is in earshot, and then a simple: "Yes, from time to time."

My solo max depth (which is my overall max depth) is a tad less than Nem's, was done at the tender age of 19. No redundancy, no octo, no BC (this was in the 70's). Single steel 72, air, Calypso-J regulator. A very deep bounce to act as a "safety diver" for friend who was doing an even deeper bounce, with planned deco (spare tanks suspended from an inner tube float waaaay above us :D ). Very hi-tech :D

Ahh, to be young and stupid again.

As opposed to old and stupid like I am now :rofl3:

I do dive pretty darned shallow these days when solo, and shallow with buddies. I am, thank goodness, no longer a teenager :D

Best wishes.

I was young then too and I didn't have a stink'n BC or anything else but a Tekna T2100 and a tank. There was something I wanted to see and that is how deep it was for me to see it and so I seen it, just that simple. I don't dive that deep anymore, my body is not up to it I fear. A good twin hose and a tank is all I need now, why use all of that un-needed stuff?

N

To be honest reading your posts, I just plain scared to go that deep by myself. I go 100+ all the time no probs, but to go 150 or 200 + scares me. I now have to do it just to prove it to myself, but I will be mentally prepared and have an escape plan.

Yeah to be young and dum again, I miss those days:depressed:

To be honest reading your posts, I just plain scared to go that deep by myself. I go 100+ all the time no probs, but to go 150 or 200 + scares me. I now have to do it just to prove it to myself, but I will be mentally prepared and have an escape plan.

Yeah to be young and dum again, I miss those days:depressed:

Being scared is a good thing in this case. The dive I was referring to, and a few others I did in the 70's and 80's could have easily jumped up and killed me.

I was very lucky: Darwin and Murphy apparently were both looking the other way when I made those dives. So I survived my stupidity.

I would never do those dives today.

When diving solo these days, I consider anything deeper than I can freedive to be deep. These days, that means pretty darned shallow :wink:

Best wishes.

Note: I was very hesitant to post in this thread because I did not want to either encourage or discourage deep solo dives. But I really think that decision is up to the individual diver, who will hopefully weigh the risks against what they want to see/accomplish at greater depths and prepare themselves accordingly.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom