Defogger issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ravefan96

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been a recreational diver since 2002 and have logged 596 dives. I believe I may have a unique but constant problem with my mask (s) as this has been an issue with every mask I've ever used. I have burned the film off of new goggles, toothpaste, defogger, saliva, dish detergent etc. My goggles seldom leak and almost always fine for about :15 into each dive. And then the Dive becomes tainted as my vision gradually becomes a blur forcing me to take my mask off and clear to see. Once in the Dominican Republic a guide saw this and handed me a leafy plant (or soft plant like) to rub the inside portion of my mask. Instantly defogged it and stayed that way the rest of the Dive. I have thought about the idea of Rain X defogger and read how the alcohol may irritate the eyes and thought that alcohol once dried should not be a problem. Any ideas out there on Rain X or other defog choices. I know the ones I've tried are NOT sure fire as people claim. Help.....Diving in a month with Stuart Cove Shark again.

I fog up my mask too. It is unconscious breathing out of the nose during a dive. The only 2 things that work for me: 1) the leafy thing from the ocean you spoke of - I was also given one from an instructor - it works hands down; 2) dish soap/baby shampoo mixed with water and sprayed inside mask - the trick here is to dunk it in water quickly in and out, no rubbing, right before you enter the water, thereby leaving a film inside. Don’t rub! That is the trick! My husband just sprays the stuff in and doesn’t even dunk it in water. He just lets it dry and that’s it. It creates a film that lasts all dive. This is why the liveaboards have this. If you dunk it in water, rub out the dish soap like you’re washing dishes, and rinse and repeat, it won’t work.

I use neat baby shampoo. Just a thin smear, works better than diluted

Hint: if you rinse mask in sea water it will remain clear, rinsing in fresh and it can fog. I have no idea why.

No prob if shampoo dries just use a wetted finger to rub the dried shampoo and it’ll be fine

Baby shampoo for me...it’s the only thing I use.

The rain x thought is interesting though. May try that with an old mask and see what happens.

I use neat baby shampoo. Just a thin smear, works better than diluted

Hint: if you rinse mask in sea water it will remain clear, rinsing in fresh and it can fog. I have no idea why.

No prob if shampoo dries just use a wetted finger to rub the dried shampoo and it’ll be fine

I will try using it neat too!

I think the sea water vs fresh water thing has more to do with the water temperature than salt vs fresh. If you dunk the mask in the ocean you’ll be diving, the temperature is the same. If you use fresh water, especially a warmer/cooler(?) fresh water just out of a tap, I’ve noticed it will fog.

I curious about this leafy thing you guys speak of. Don't have a fogging problem, just curious.

@Ana , it was like a green leafy grass (weed?) that my instructor plucked off the bottom sandy patch. He told me to rub it inside the mask good and no fogging after that! It was wonderful.

Reactions: Ana
For us it was the berries from some sargassum foating nearby.

Yes baby shampoo. Wipe a bit on inside of mask glass with T.P. and wipe until it's clear. Works every time. You can put it on days, even a week(s?) before the dive so you don't forget to.

I don't have any issues with my mask fogging. Of course I also dive a ffm for that very reason. Well, it's one reason anyway. But when I do dive my conventional mask and reg kit, the trick I learned with defog is apply it liberally and give it time to dry before you get in the water. Then once you make your entry rinse the mask a couple times and the defog should last at least that entire dive if not even the next one after it. I haven't tried this in salt water because any time I'm in the ocean I'm diving my ffm. But when assisting with OW classes here locally in the dive park this works tried and true every time. Even in 50F water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom