Delaware Water Gap Mishap takes one life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad. I'm in the area, lots of rain the past few days and the rivers are up. Very swift currents.

Condolences to those that knew him.

I was just about to submit a post on this incident, so I'll just add it to this thread instead to avoid multiple posts on the same subject...

I just learned of this a few hours ago from a friend who works at the dive shop owned by the instructor involved in the incident. I used to assist classes at this shop as a Dive Master, but parted ways with the instructor several years ago.

Additional "facts", as they've been relayed to me, are as follows:

The instructor was conducting an Open Water class with two students, a husband and wife, on Saturday, Dec 13th 2010. The article states two instructors, but to the best of my knowledge, it was the instructor and a single dive master.

When the group was at the shop in the morning picking up gear, the instructor reported to my friend (also a Dive Master, but not the one involved in the incident), that he had received a "Special Dispensation" from NAUI, the certifying agency, to conduct the class in a single dive, at that location, despite the maximum depth being roughly 14 to 15 feet.

Both students were physically fit, in good health and were wearing wet suits during the dive. The instructor always wore a dry suit, I'm not sure what the DM was wearing.

From the article, apparently the instructor signaled to end the dive, the students acknowledged and they began to surface. On ascent, the victim became separated from the group. When everyone surfaced, the victim was reportedly observed swimming towards shore, but by the time the instructor reached him, he was face down in the water and not moving. Rescue breaths were administered while he was being towed to shore. On shore, resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful.

I'm not trying to throw mud, but I personally observed this instructor's habit of cutting corners and bending rules on numerous occasions, and it was one of the primary reasons I stopped assisting with his classes. Obviously responsibility will likely be decided in court, but, and this is admitedly speculation on my part, this appears to be a case where cutting corners lead to tragic results.

Key questions:

1- Why was this class conducted in this location - a relatively shallow river with limited visibility and known currents? Virtually all other Open Water classes at the shop were conducted at a popular quarry just 1 hour away (from this location) in Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs), and other, even closer locations exist which would be more appropriate to teach an Open Water class.

2- What was the justification for conducting an Open Water class in a single dive, and how was that even possible? I admittedly don't know NAUI's standards, but PADI requires a minimum of 4 dives.

3- How does a PADI and NAUI Course Director, with Technical instructor experience, over 5000 dives and several hundred student certifications, with the help of a Dive Master, fail to maintain a group of two students? A husband and wife, no less, who will naturally want to stay together.

4- Assuming (and I'm speculating) the necessity to get certified in December, in the North East, was because the couple had a vacation planned, why wasn't a standard referral given so they could have completed their training in better conditions?

While this could be a tragic case of a diver panicking or suffering from some unknown health-related issue, it's hard to see how the conditions didn't exacerbate the situation. I can only hope the tragic loss of such a young individual leads to some improvement in train standards, be that on the part of certifying agencies apparently willing to bend their own rules, or instructors seeking the bending of rules for primarily reasons of convenience and/or profit.

Last edited:
As an Instructor, I'm shocked. Why was an OW class conducted in cold water in a river? I'm willing to bet that the viz was not great.

As a lawyer, I predict a lawsuit.

This is a sad. A young person lost his life.

I'm not trying to throw mud, but I personally observed this instructor's habit of cutting corners and bending rules on numerous occasions, and it was one of the primary reasons I stopped assisting with his classes.

Chris3D, did the Instructor conduct the pool training for the two students in question?

I've dived this area about a dozen times many years ago (good place for collecting antique bottles and relics), but always in the summer and never after heavy rains. I am very curious as to why the instructor chose to dive this site in apparently awful conditions with open water students. Lake Minnewaska or Dutch Springs are much better training areas.

Chris3D, did the Instructor conduct the pool training for the two students in question?

I assume so, but I'm not certain. During my 5 or so years at that shop, from my own initial training through DM, the pool sessions were always conducted at a local sports center and the open water sessions were all conducted at Dutch Springs in PA. I'll be very interested to know why this location was chosen over Dutch Springs, which is only a single hour away (from the location on the Delaware) and far better suited to training - generally very good visibility, underwater platforms everywhere, no current and readily available emergency services (since the quarry is set up specifically for scuba diving/training).

I am very curious as to why the instructor chose to dive this site in apparently awful conditions with open water students. Lake Minnewaska or Dutch Springs are much better training areas.

Exactly, Lake Minnewaska is what I had in mind when I mentioned closer places for training. The visibility isn't great there, but it's probably on average better than the Delaware, and it's cold, but at least there's no current.

Dutch Springs is closed for the 2010 season. You can gain access to Dutch during off-season if you're an instructor. I don't know what the criteria is to gain access to Dutch during off-season but know you must have an instructor make the arrangement.

Dutch does open for an annual New Years Eve dive on Dec 31st but you must be out of the water by 2PM.

Dutch Springs is closed for the 2010 season. You can gain access to Dutch during off-season if you're an instructor. I don't know what the criteria is to gain access to Dutch during off-season but know you must have an instructor make the arrangement.

Dutch does open for an annual New Years Eve dive on Dec 31st but you must be out of the water by 2PM.

The instructor in this case has a long history of teaching classes at Dutch Springs. When I was at the shop, we'd be there every 2nd or 3rd weekend from late spring to late November teaching classes. If they make provisions for instructors to have access during the off-seasons, I'm sure he could have gotten it.

But even if not, Lake Minnewaska would be the obvious second choice for diving in this area. It's not ideal, but it's not a river with currents either.

Absolutely agree that Dutch or Lake Minnewaska are both ideal for training as opposed to a river with current.

Back
Top Bottom