Deleted Post question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I hope I'm posting in the right place. I wanted to inquire about why my post(s) was deleted. This has happened before but my most recent post was in the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/th...-coves-dive-bahamas-they-terrible-deal-9.html thread. I realize that thread is locked but I don't know why my post was deleted prior to that? It was respectful and on topic and I don't think I violated any rules/guidelines. Can one of the mods advise me on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any help.
Melissa

It looks like your post was in reply to another post that violated TOS. Because the original post was deleted your reply was also deleted because otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Hi,
I hope I'm posting in the right place. I wanted to inquire about why my post(s) was deleted. This has happened before but my most recent post was in the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/th...-coves-dive-bahamas-they-terrible-deal-9.html thread. I realize that thread is locked but I don't know why my post was deleted prior to that? It was respectful and on topic and I don't think I violated any rules/guidelines. Can one of the mods advise me on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any help.
Melissa

Hello Melissa.

I was the moderator who deleted your post and I'm happy to explain why your post was deleted.

Sometimes when a user makes an offensive post, as was the case in this thread, other people quote the offensive post and make replies to it. That's what happened in this case. You quoted a post that I had to remove because the user in question--who was not you--was engaging in cyber-bullying another user on the thread.

You also quoted his post to tell him not to be creepy about it, which is by no means out of line given what he said. However, since I had to remove the cyber-bullying, I also had to remove posts that quoted what he said. That included your post.

This does NOT mean that YOU did anything wrong. The moderation was taken against the user whose post you quoted, and your post was removed because I wanted all trace of the cyber-bullying gone. In other words, you just got caught in the cross-fire.

As a tip for the future, when you see things that you think are "creepy" or out of line, we would prefer for users to report those offensive posts so the moderators can delete them. Responding to it, unfortunately, usually results in offensive posts getting even MORE attention and it gives the person who is out of line a podium to keep on with it. If you report offensive posts, then the user who wrote it is dealt with quietly (no podium) and the offensive material is deleted before too many people are exposed to it.

I hope this helps to clarify.

R..

Hi Melissa,
I'm not a mod, just a longtime SB poster, and what Diver0001 described regarding reporting a post is exactly the way it works. Additionally, the Mods are usually very quick in dealing with reports, and seem to appreciate having posts reported-it helps make their task a bit easier.

Hi Melissa,
I'm not a mod, just a longtime SB poster, and what Diver0001 described regarding reporting a post is exactly the way it works. Additionally, the Mods are usually very quick in dealing with reports, and seem to appreciate having posts reported-it helps make their task a bit easier.

Thanks for that. Yes, it's important to use the report button. So much content gets posted on Scubaboard that it's impossible for moderators to read everything. Without the help of users reporting offensive posts too much stuff gets missed because we simply don't see it.

R..

Hello Melissa.

You quoted a post that I had to remove because the user in question--who was not you--was engaging in cyber-bullying another user on the thread.

You also quoted his post to tell him not to be creepy about it, which is by no means out of line given what he said. However, since I had to remove the cyber-bullying, I also had to remove posts that quoted what he said. That included your post.

This does NOT mean that YOU did anything wrong. The moderation was taken against the user whose post you quoted, and your post was removed because I wanted all trace of the cyber-bullying gone. In other words, you just got caught in the cross-fire.

As a tip for the future, when you see things that you think are "creepy" or out of line, we would prefer for users to report those offensive posts so the moderators can delete them. Responding to it, unfortunately, usually results in offensive posts getting even MORE attention and it gives the person who is out of line a podium to keep on with it. If you report offensive posts, then the user who wrote it is dealt with quietly (no podium) and the offensive material is deleted before too many people are exposed to it.

I hope this helps to clarify.

R..

Thanks so much for the response. That makes total sense if course. Candidly, its hard for me not to address things I see as bullying--particularly if it feels gendered. That said, I'll definitely report posts in the future and think critically before quoting/responding. I appreciate your efforts (and that of the other moderators) in making SB a welcoming space and great resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom