Deluxe Harness Cam Buckle no good.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm - from your video it does look 'just wrong". It also doesn't look like a Dive Rite buckle. Mine has the dive rite logo embossed in the "handle" and the tab that actually engages the webbing has "teeth".

*edit* - Even without being threaded at all mine locks the webbing up tight. Also, mine has a proper steel rod for the hinge vs those little metal tabs yours has. Where did you buy it? I have the exact same harness

[edit] just saw a video posted while I had the post window open.. that does look like an interesting problem. Perhaps the tab underneath the webbing, when the webbing is run, could be bent down a little bit more? Dive Rite has a good customer service department, I'm sure you could email them a link to your video and they'd take care of you.

Plastic anything has a tendency to break over time. I like low maintenance BP/W systems that I can abuse for years without issue, and plastic buckles, I'd be likely to break pretty quick, with the way the waist webbing flops about. Easy to set doubles on top of it, and that's the end of your plastic buckle.

I got the harness as part of a package from Divers Supply, included the harness, the plate, and a HOG wing.

I actually ended up be correct about it being an issue with the geometry of the locking mechanism, and with about 10 min work on gun bench and vice with some bending and banging, I got it to where it does lock up just fine. It's pretty rough looking though, and after about 10-15 test clips and releases, it's already starting to 'dog-ear' the webbing... I don't want to pre-maturely wear out the harness, in the name of triumph over this thing though...

I think I'll just throw it in the dive bag as a backup in case the plastic clip wears out, and try getting the side-release buckles and see how they do. Thanks, everybody for your help!

Here's a video that better explains what was going on.
YouTube - DSCN1103

Hopefully this will help anybody else who might have an issue with it.

Are you sure you got an actual Dive Rite harness because in your second video that is clearly not the Dive Rite buckle.

Edit: never mind.

Here's a video that hopefully answers you guy's questions about the harness. It came in a Dive Rite labeled package, with Dive Rite instructions; and with the exception of the 'missing' embossing and teeth on the buckle, it all appears to my untrained eye to be Dive Rite.

YouTube - VIDEO0013

Edit to add: Insta-Gator, I'm curious what your previous post was about. If you're worried about offending me, don't. I've got thick skin. I'm not trying to besmirch Dive Rite or anybody else, I just want to figure out what the mystery is with this buckle. Thanks again for your input, guys!

Just went to check both of my DR harnesses and both buckles have DR on them... so I don't think your is one of theirs. Doesn't really matter as a new one is inexpensive anyway.

I have been thinking about putting plastice slide release (pinch and squeeze) buckles on my new transplate since I actually like them.

Back
Top Bottom