Descending Refresher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll just add to the above that it helps when descending to use a reference line if you can. You said you have some buoyancy troubles so the ability to stop your descent (for plugged ears, for example) is just as important as getting it going so descending along a rope or anchor line is important in deep water.

Also, resist the temptation to add weight to sink. If your weight is good (or good enough--let's be pragmatic) then you will be better off in the long run to work on your technique. A good thing to do is to go a day before the boat dives and do a refresher with a local professional. They can help you sort out the descending thing and check your weight with you. Don already suggested that but I would like to add my voice to this suggestion.

Good luck and have fun!

R..

yep a reference line can deff be of great help in descending, just be aware though not to try pullinh yourself down on the line.

As someone who works with once in a while divers every day, I'll throw in a reminder about taking a Refresher session before your first dives...even if it's just in the pool.

You'll be much more relaxed, work any kinks out of the gear you will be using, learn how the gear (I assume it's hire gear, but even your own after a year can be mysterious) sits on you and works and feels and most importantly you should be safer and more in control. I believe you will enjoy your "real" dives from the time you hit the water much more if you aren't thinking about the above for the first dive!

You also will reduce the stress caused by being a once in a while diver who causes inconvenience to the other divers in your group should there be a glitch that conceivably could have been addressed in the refresher! I've seen this happen many many times and it really does cause high stress...

yep not a bad idea, esp since it's poss that there's other areas the diver in question isn't aware they might have forgotten about or could do with a refresher on.

mccabejc:
Also, keep still while descending. Keep track of your feet, and make sure they are absolutely still and you are not kicking your fins.

One thing that I ask students who are having difficulty descending to do is to cross their ankles until they are a couple of feet under water.

I'll echo the rest of the advice. Make sure that you are exhaling completely and from the diaphragm.

A Scuba Refresher would definitely be in order. I don't know the going rate in your area, but I charge $75.00 (cash only) for the review.

Okay, I've been back for awhile. Anyway, the trip was great.

Took ya'lls advice to cross ankles and relax, it still took me three or four minutes to descent the first dive. But after that I was super confident and everything was fine.

Didn't need a refresher course -- at least not to descend -- I still could improve my bouyancy.

So the diving was great -- saw a dozen or so turtles, nudibranches, and the like.

Thanks again ya'lll!

Do you know what the plural of ya'll is? "All ya'll"
Houston, Texas

Back
Top Bottom