DGX BP & Wing: with or without STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MannyDib2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Its recommended to use it without an STA but I've heard some people experience less tank roll with an STA while others don't.

I plan to get this wing as its highly rated and sells for a great price. Just wondering what the community's experience is

Go without a STA. The DGX wing has roll control cushions that will keep is secure, and I like cam straps going through the plate. It’s more secure rather than counting on two 5/16” bolts and like you said, loosening of the nuts.
Beyond that, STA’s move the tank out further from your back which to me is counter productive.

Go without a STA. The DGX wing has roll control cushions that will keep is secure, and I like cam straps going through the plate. It’s more secure rather than counting on two 5/16” bolts and like you said, loosening of the nuts.
Beyond that, STA’s move the tank out further from your back which to me is counter productive.

This ^^^^^

I'd go without the STA. Why make it more unstable than necessary?
(If you later find yourself switching between doubles and singles with this plate, an STA may be worth it then. Or perhaps another plate.)

I have the DGX setup. You don’t need an STA, it works wonderfully without it.

Erik

I use this DGX setup and started without the STA but later added it. I found the tank stays stable to the plate once strapped without the STA, but getting it straight on a rocking boat can be a pain. The STA just squares everything up easier, but maybe I’m extra particular. The added distance from your back is insignificant. The good news is you can always start without and add it later if you like.

Good choice with DGX for what it’s worth :)

STA for me. Weight isn’t a problem, you can get Al STA which is only 110g in weight, or CF STA for 80g.

I started with Dive Rite plate and oxy wing without STA. It works. But with STA , things are more stable. I also prefer thank a bit more away from my head. My home water is cold, so I can use a bit more weight as well (6lb weighted STA). For travel, Al STA.

Back
Top Bottom