DGX BP & Wing: with or without STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STA for me, even with the DGX wing. Before I bought it I confirmed it would work with an STA. DGX tried to sell me on not using one, but confirmed it would work with one. Given that I use 2 different plates, 2 different STAs, and 3 different wings based upon my tank & exposure suit combinations, NOT using an STA is a PITA. The STA gives me the flexibility to mix & match as needed on any dive.

I too also find an STA setup more stable. Yes, I’ve used both. Others disagree as you’re seeing. We all agree to disagree. You need to make the decision based upon what works best for you.

STA's are nice if you need to move your backplate to other setups often. Also with stainless steel cambands they can help take a few pounds off of your weight belt.

However I have a similar wing and I find that large 8 inch tanks trim better and are easier to manage without a STA as the tank is closer to you body.

I use this DGX setup and started without the STA but later added it. I found the tank stays stable to the plate once strapped without the STA, but getting it straight on a rocking boat can be a pain. The STA just squares everything up easier, but maybe I’m extra particular. The added distance from your back is insignificant. The good news is you can always start without and add it later if you like.

Good choice with DGX for what it’s worth :)
Using some assembly / book screws to hold the wing and backplate together can make it a little easier.

Using some assembly / book screws to hold the wing and backplate together can make it a little easier.
I’ve always used plastic book screws without the STA, I agree they hold everything together way easier. The setup always seemed weird to me as you essentially clamp the tank against the book screw heads. The tabs on the wing keep it from rolling back and forth so it works fine but the tank doesn’t naturally want to clamp down straight. If anything I found it wants to shift off the book screws when you tighten it down.

Either way works, it’s all preference!

Anyone found flathead assembly screws that exactly fit in the plate flush?
I tried some flat head screws once, but no matter what you end up clamping a round tank to a high spot off the plate. Even if you don’t use screws you’re clamping on top of the wing grommets.

Already two conflicting views. I'll have to find out for myself!

^^^ This is the approach. It's like asking someone which is best Chevy or Ford trucks and/or arguing religion/politics with your crazy Uncle.

That said I do have the DGX setup without a STA. Works just fine, every now and again the tank gets a little out of alignment, if I haven't tightened or adjusted the cam bands lately. It's never bothered me, but sometimes I get comments from other divers...

Ford!!

Are you talking about me??

Lol. Unlikely unless you are in Texas. Also if memory serves me right your trigger is someone bashing SP stuff not necessarily bpw...

I might need to move the wing back and forth between two backplates.
How hard is it to thread/unthread the cam bands?
It looks easy here, but getting it done might be different than getting it done right

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom