DGX BP & Wing: with or without STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How hard is it to thread/unthread the cam bands?
Trivial if there are no trim pockets. Maybe 5ish mins with pockets, depending on how you have them secured and whether they're on both bands.

I might need to move the wing back and forth between two backplates.
It looks easy here, but getting it done might be different than getting it done right

Just use an STA. Easy peazy. Yes, you can unthread/rethread the cam bands. That is definitely an option. But if you may be switching frequently, that will get old fast.

I swap plates and wings A LOT. I have 2 plats and 4 wings. The plates I switch based upon exposure protection, but the wings I switch frequently to keep all of my wings in regular use. So using an STA is the perfect option for me. YMMV

I swap plates and wings A LOT.
Just curious why? Is it from different configurations (as you are in Florida) of freshwater vs salt water, singles vs doubles, maybe even different thickness of wetsuit throughout the year?

I might need to move the wing back and forth between two backplates.
It looks easy here, but getting it done might be different than getting it done right
All the more reason to use an STA. Loosen two bolts, move the whole thing, tighten two bolts.

Yes just get an STA. However, get used to threading camband tho. When you pack for travel, they all may need to come off even with STA for space efficiency. It is simple.

I swap between doubles and singles wings a couple times per year, and I still thread cambands through the backplate. Perhaps if I were doing it more often, I'd switch to an STA.

OP, in case you're not aware: when using a Single Tank Adapter (STA), the cam bands aren't threaded through the backplate so switching plates, wings, or single/doubles is extremely fast. The drawback is an STA moves the tank weight away from you, making it a little more "tippy", but you get used to it.

Just curious why? Is it from different configurations (as you are in Florida) of freshwater vs salt water, singles vs doubles, maybe even different thickness of wetsuit throughout the year?

Great question. Formerly it was fresh to salt, drysuit to wetsuit, singles to doubles. These days it is primarily shifting wetsuit sizes throughout the year and occastionally salt to fresh. I have a 10 lb plate, a 5 lb plate and 7 & 2 lb STAs. The different combinations allow me to finely tailor my kit to my exposure protection and tank allowing me to dive a finely balanced setup.

As to swapping wings, I like to rotate through my wings to minimize the wear on any single wing and to keep all of them in active use.

Already two conflicting views. I'll have to find out for myself!
As is normal for Scubaboard. :wink:

I have never experienced a lack of stability without an STA when using 2 tank straps. I had some tank movement with an old setup without an STA and a single tank strap.
I recently added a STA to one of my plates that I couldn't match plate slots to tank strap slots in the wing. Both setups are stable.
I would say go without the STA until something happens that makes you think you need an STA. You can always add one later. It doesn't make sense to buy it and then decide you didn't need it after all.

The only way I could see using a non STA setup eventually beginning to not work well would be if the roll control cushions eventually begin to smash out and lose their rigidity. I’ve taken apart roll control cushions out of wings before and found out they use sections of1/4” fuel line like you’s buy at a parts store. One idea I had was to cut pieces of 1/4” stainless rods and slide them into the sections of fuel line to make them permanently rigid, then reinsert them into the pocket and restitch the pouch. I know Oxycheq went to a solid plastic rod now instead of fuel line to offset this eventual problem.
Also, a plate with a steeper channel bend will have more trouble stabilizing a tank using roll control cushions with no STA, unless the cushions are larger. It is also possible to use tank brackets bolted through the holes in the plate with the wing sandwiched in between and still use the slots in the plate to secure the tank. You could probably also do this with a STA if you wanted, then you have the best if both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom