Diabetes and Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so. I had a student with diabetes come to me a couple years ago. Well controlled with a pump and never had an issue with sugar getting out of control, their doctor said they were a good candidate for scuba. I called and asked NAUI if I could train them. I was told "You have to make the decision BUT if ANYTHING EVER happens to the student underwater in the future we will pull your insurance and leave you liable for any claims made by the family." As much as I enjoyed the person's personality and would have enjoyed training them they weren't worth leaving myself exposed to a civil or wrongful death lawsuit where I could lose everything my husband and I own.

I know the YMCA had (has?) a nice program for diabetics that's basically a research program they sign up for. Diabetics get to dive AND provide information so we may better understand how the disease affects divers.

So the translation is: have the instructor check with their insurance company / cert. agency on it.

My understanding is that with the PADI insurance as long as you have a physician's release and the diver was as honest with the doctor as they were with you (i.e. completed the RSTC medical questionnaire, took that to the doctor to have them sign the physician's release section), the instructor will not be held liable. You can still refuse to train the diver, but it boils down to a "not on my watch" situation.

Truthfully -- if the primary care physician has signed off on it, and there is an understanding that the diver knows how to manage the diabetes, there should be no problem. I, as an instructor, might follow it up with the physician if I had concerns and say something like this: "I see you signed this release for diving. I just want to make sure we're on the same page. The reason he had to see you was because of his diabetes. The reason diabetes is contra-indicated for diving has to do with the change in metabolic rates at depth as well as the potentially fatal repercussions of a momentary blackout or convulsion. This can be a high-stress (physical and mental) activity. I'm not pretending to know more than this or to do your job, just that I wanted to ensure you were aware of the extended stresses that may be present and offer you an opportunity to withdraw your medical clearance."

A lot of doctors don't realise why they're signing something, and in many cases, the instructor knows more about why a medical condition is contra-indicated than a doctor. That doesn't mean that we know when a case doesn't warrant the contra-indication, it means that we know why most, many or some cases are contra-indicated.

As for the exact situation -- the primary thing I've heard mentioned with diabetes and diving is to avoid a pre-emptive compensation for the time spent underwater. Many diabetics have apparently run into trouble by sugar-loading before the dive then ending up in a hyperglycaemic state during the dive.

Truthfully -- if the primary care physician has signed off on it, and there is an understanding that the diver knows how to manage the diabetes, there should be no problem. I, as an instructor, might follow it up with the physician if I had concerns...

I don't know how things are done in Amerika, but DAN Japan cuts down on this cross-discussion by listing physician/divers. I would ask the student to provide forms from both their family doctor and one of these physician/divers.

I don't know how things are done in Amerika, but DAN Japan cuts down on this cross-discussion by listing physician/divers. I would ask the student to provide forms from both their family doctor and one of these physician/divers.
In these parts, the release only needs to be made by *a* physician. It doesn't even have to be their primary care physician.

If, after my discussion (that was mentioned above), the doctor wanted more info, I'd tell them to call DAN and talk to one of their doctors... but that's about as DANny as it gets over here AFAIK. :)

Okay I will get in on this. I myself have type 1 diabete's My dive buddie's all know the risk an are fine. We dive rec an tec. Precaution's are before each dive I check the blood sugar. Before entering the water I will make it rise if it's at the normal level "80to 120". Low blood sugar is a bit hard to notice under water butnot impossible. I am very comfortable. A tube of glucose is on my BC or BPW Only have used it once an that was tosee if it could be done. They say we asre more at risk to DCI So far that's never happened. So stay hydrated.
Jeff

I called and asked NAUI if I could train them. I was told "You have to make the decision BUT if ANYTHING EVER happens to the student underwater in the future we will pull your insurance and leave you liable for any claims

Well the instructor is certified through NAUI so maybe that is the problem. Thanks for the info.

As for your son, I would review the guidelines from this workshop with him as a start. You might also want to review the presentation below by Dr. Pollock with him. For your physician, let them review the guidelines and make sure they know the can call DAN to speak to a physician with any specific questions they might have.QUOTE]

Wow, that is a lot of information and very useful. Thank you for the information and I will print these out of my instructor and my sons endocrinologist.

Okay I will get in on this. I myself have type 1 diabete's My dive buddie's all know the risk an are fine. We dive rec an tec. Precaution's are before each dive I check the blood sugar. Before entering the water I will make it rise if it's at the normal level "80to 120". Low blood sugar is a bit hard to notice under water butnot impossible. I am very comfortable. A tube of glucose is on my BC or BPW Only have used it once an that was tosee if it could be done. They say we asre more at risk to DCI So far that's never happened. So stay hydrated.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I like receiving the point of view of a type 1 diabetic. I have heard from a few since posting this thread and I will definitely pursue the certification for Jacob. He was pretty disappointed when he was told he could not do this because he is diabetic.

Ok, help me out with this one please. My son is 16 years old and has an open water certification. He is a Type 1 insulin dependant diabetic and has had diabetes for 11 years. Our instructor for AOW will not certify him for depth/time/vis concerns and I am fine with that. I would not want to put my son in danger or open liability to our instructor. I am just wondering what other diabetics have been through and certifications obtained to discuss with my son. Thanks, Scozz

Hey, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to drop my 2 cents in on this. I was an Air Force pilot who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes back in 2005. I became interested in 2008 in getting certified. (I went to school down in Sarasota and lived on Longboat Key, so I'm surprised it took me that long)...anyway, on the board I asked the question about getting certified, and there were a long line of folks telling me I'd never be able to do it and they wouldn't allow it if it was up to them. I went to the shop near where I now work in Dallas, and they asked the question on up the chain to the NAUI course director, who advised them to follow the DAN guidelines. They were ok with it, and since then I've gone on to do AOW, Rescue, and now Divemaster. I also work at the shop voluntarily as a TA. I sure hope your son was able to get his cert. Happy Diving!

Yes this is a very old thread. As FF93USAFA points out things have changes. The Handicapped SCUBA Association (HSA) has been certifying Diabetics for years. DAN has in the last few years changed its recommendation and now has guidelines for diving with diabetics. Note the DAN guidelines are for a diabetic who has their diabetes under control (stable) and the diver should carry some emergency sugar supply such as a tube of glucose or cake frosting.

My son (and dive buddy) was diagnosed with T1 diabetes in late 2008. About one year later, he pursued and received his OW cert, and earlier this year, his AOW (along with myself). He is 17 years old right now, and is developing into a really good diver. He has good control over his diabetes, and so no issues thus far. He has 31 logged dives so far, and counting. Although the LDS which certified him seemed a bit hesistant at first, they nevertheless agreed to provide the training and cert. I think what may have been the deciding point for them, especially due to his young age, was that I was going to sit through the class myself, as a refresher, and also be his buddy for his OW cert dive (it was a great experience to share with him).

In line with all this, does anyone know of a waterproof pill bottle (or something like a pill bottle), which can go down to, say 100' +/-, which can store glocose tabs ? Both my son and I carry gel, in case he should need it (I do not have diabetes), but I would also like to carry some glucose tabs for him, in case we find ourselves needing to do a significant suface swim. He has mentioned to me that if that scenario occured, and he needed glucose for, or during, the swim, that he would like the option to maybe take glucose tabs instead of gel.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom