Did I get hosed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not up on the exchange rate (Canada/USA), however if you only have one dive shop within driving distance, then you may have done wisely to pay up.

Since you apparently have only one option for training, service, fills ect. it may serve you to stay on their "good side". The other options like traveling for training, buying your own compressor,and mail order gear service, sound like a good deal of trouble and expense.

I'm as tight with my money as the next guy, but I don't think it's a bad idea to pay a bit to much under such circumstances - hell gear lasts for years anyway, and after a few good dives you wont care what it cost to get started - just how much the next dive is going to cost.

SparticleBrane:
Knowing how much air is in your tank is totally optional only useful for advanced divers.

I think he got that the wrong way round...
Advanced divers are supposed to know how much air they've got left without looking at their SPG.
Only newbies haven't yet developed the required skills and require an SPG... :D

At this point, you've already purchased the gear...good gear. Stop worrying about it or it'll cause you anxiety while diving with it that you don't need. While diving and using the equipment, it might be in your mind that you feel you paid too much. Anxiety over one thing can add up when small problems occur causing some to panic. Panic kills. Learn all you can about the equipment you have, take care of it, and it should last you awhile. Shop around for future purposes and be happy with and know your equipment. As for the comment on the gauges and octo, if the guy who told you that is the instructor or the instructor's boss, I'd find a new instructor. You absolutely DO need an Octo and gauges.

Pretty much every Canadian has been hosed in the last year.. well maybe year and a bit. The rapid rise in our dollar caught suppliers off guard. The Canadian Distributors all (or at least most) paid for their product in USD many months ago, so as our dollar rose their costs effectively went up about 20% with out them doing a thing. Some few are taking the hit and trying to keep prices competative but ...

Two years ago it was the reverse, it could be much cheaper to buy in Canada than in the US.
Currency Arbitrage as it pertains to retail sales.. For things that require Fit and regular Service I still shop locally..but I've talked to my LDS and they understand that I'm buying other stuff mail order.

Should have rented until you're sure you like the sport!!!!

Great sales person....

jtoorish:
I find this a disturbing statement.

Jeff

What's so disturbing about considering an octo and SPG as "optional"? (hehehe)

Actually, in the vintage part of this forum, I'm sure there would be a few of those "in my day" types who used to dive that way all the time back in the 60's and 70's. As for me, I'll go ahead and exercise the "option" of including an octo and an SPG in my kit.

ChrisA:
Where do you live? Around here in the local dive shops full retail price for an AL80 tank is $130.
We can buy them on sale every few months for $110. This is local retail not on-line. I think you over paid by about $100. One local reseller told be his cost for AL80 tanks wholesale was $106 and they do the $110 sale every year just to get divers in the shop. $129.95 in "normal"

The wetsuit is not bad. Full retail is $299 but locally the shops here are selling with $100 discount for that exact same wetsuit. Other wetsuits like it are currently discounted to about $200 to $180.
Paying full MSRP is not bad, well not as bad as for the tank

The BC sounds high too. I don't know that model but it is hard to find a $700 BC in the local shops.

If the reg price includes the octo and it is a near top of the line sherwood then the price is in-line

But I live in So. Calif. We have a bazillion dive shops in the area and they have to compete with each other. (I counted 63 shops in one of the So Cal directories)

I hate to say it but shops ALWAYS try and sell gear to new divers before they have even taken the first class. Divers at that point know almost nothing about dive gear. In fact I think OW trainnng is a "loos leader" for gear sales. What is their return policy? If it's never been wet ask if they will take some of it back. If they do NOT have a liberal return policy then there is little reason to buy from the local shop

Keep in mind that you are buying in the US in US$. I don't think the Canadian$ goes quite as far. Good point about all the dive shops in your area, though. That should definitely have a positive impact on prices as far as the buyer is concerned. Doesn't sound like he has the benefit of such extensive competition. Considering the 4 hour drive (not sure how long that would be in the metric system) round trip to the next nearest shop, he probably did the smart thing even if he paid a little extra.

Don't "try to stay loyal" to anybody who doesn't deserve it. Equipment is just a commodity unless the dealer goes out of their way to make you happy.

If you're planning on continuing to use the shop for air fills, advice, service, etc., and if they're very good to you and make you happy, then pretty much anything they charge (within reason) is OK.

If they do bad work, aren't nice to you, don't have anything special to offer, then tell them to get lost and go somewhere else.

SCUBA tends to be more about "service" than "parts", and even though you're think you're buying equipment, you're really buying a relationship. In exchange for being nice about paying close to list price for your stuff, you have a right to expect them to be really nice to you.
  • Can you try your stuff out in a pool to see if you like it?
  • If your reg needs an adjustment, will they take care of it when you stop by, or will they tell you "2 weeks"?
  • If your reg needs service, do they stock the manufacturer's parts kits for it?
  • If you drop off a tank for a fill at lunch, can you pick it up on the way home from work?
  • Will they give you a call if any of your equipment is recalled and needs service?
  • Do they get their air tested regularly for contaminants, and post the results?
  • Does the service bench look like it's ready for surgery, or is it full if junk?
  • Do they do a lot of service work on the brands they're trying to sell you? (you want an expereinced tech).
A "Good Deal" is a relative term, and really, only you can decide if you're getting one.

If you're looking strictly for pice, you can get your stuff anywhere, however depending on how often and where you dive, it may actually be better for you to pay a little more to get the service.

Terry

survivorboy:
Hello all,

Completely new to the sport, I have my first class tomorrow night!

Well, trying to stay loyal to the little guy I recently just purchased all of my gear from my local dive shop.

Now, I completely understand SOME markup, small places simply can't compete with online retailers, but tell me if this sounds unreasonable.

Among other things I paid $770 for a Sherwood Avid BC and $580 for a Sherwood Blizzard reg. My Aluminum 80 was $225 and my 7mm Bare wetsuit was $299.

Keeping in mind these are Canadian prices without tax, did I get hosed?

mobster75:
Umm... I bought a Sherwood Avid BC (2004 model) in Dec 04 for $200 brand new and I've loved it since.

Just picked up a pair of AL80's today w/ boot and valve for $165/each and comes with unlimited free air fills.

These prices are US $ though.

Seems a lot of shops in Mass. do the unlimited free air... I wish they did the same here in Philly - would definetely have more sales

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom