Didn't pass swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang in there. I started swimming again after not being near a pool for 30 years, about 3 weeks before starting scuba lessons. The first day I couldn't make 150 yards in an hour, had to stop and rest after each 25 yard length. That changed rapidly and with practise 3 or 4 mornings a week, I was doing 400 yards steady swimming within a few weeks and now I do 1000-1200 yards each time i swim. Keep working on it and your fitness level will increase MUCH more rapidly than you think. Keep trying, you'll do great.

Quoting from the SSI Manual

B. Watermanship Evaluation. The Overall goal is to evaluate the student's comfort in the water, not their personal endurance. The 200 yard swim test is one part of that total evaluation....
The second part is the ten-minute survival float.
The final part of the total watermenship evaluation is how secure and at ease students appear while under water.

When giving the swim test there is no time restriction nor is there any stroke restriction... Just 200 yards any way you can however long it take you...

I took my swim test after not swimmimg any distance in over 20 years. Bearly squeeked by the swim. My biggest challenge though was the survival float. I am naturally negatively bouyant and have to work at staying afloat. For the last 3min. I had to rely on the old survival float method of balling up, resting, then kicking to surface for breath. Not very pretty but it worked.

Hang in there! As a new diver myself, the reward for your perserverance will be well worth it.

I am 42 years old, swim 40+ 50 meter laps four times a week, 40 or so seconds a lap. (Not fast, but not slow either.) For our test, I got to the pool right after our lunch break and the instructer, who was already onsite, agreed to let me begin before the others straggled in. The test was in a very small pool taking 20 laps to complete the test. I was 3/4 of the way through my set when the other 5 hopped in. Two of the 5 were 16 year olds on their high school swim team. As you can guess - the race was on - and the teens churned the water making it much more (and surprisingly) difficult to swim. I finshed shortly thereafter in time to rest up for the tread. The others were not so lucky and had greater difficulty completing their laps until the kids fgot out of the pool. Tip - get in early if you can, particulalry in a more confining pool.

Best of luck.

divecon15:
When giving the swim test there is no time restriction nor is there any stroke restriction... Just 200 yards any way you can however long it take you...

Divecon - thanks for the info there. I'm taking my swim test this weekend and I was getting a little concerned until I read your post.

I can hack 200 yds doing the breast stroke....I think.

:lol:

Thanks again!

Just a quick update - I started taking swimming classes 2 weeks ago and decided to add private lessons as well so I'd progress faster. It's going very well and I'm certain I'll pass the swim test when I try again in May.

Thanks again!

Supernal:
Just a quick update - I started taking swimming classes 2 weeks ago and decided to add private lessons as well so I'd progress faster. It's going very well and I'm certain I'll pass the swim test when I try again in May.

Thanks again!

Keep up the good work, Supernal.

Just remember that the swim test is NOT timed, so it doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it or what stroke you use.

When I started my Divemaster Internship I had to take swim lessons so that I could handle the 400 yd swim. It was one of the best things I ever did! :D

Bonne chance,

Supernal:
It's going very well and I'm certain I'll pass the swim test when I try again in May.

:fruit:

very nice! i am sure you will pass

I had to swim 8 lengths of a 50-yd pool. After about 3-1/2 lengths, the instructor told me to stop because I was clearly exhausted. I could barely get out of the pool. I didn't think I was THAT out of shape because I walk a fair bit, but I guess I am, especially in the upper body.

If it was a 50 yard pool 8 lengths would be 400 yards. I don't know about the other agencies, but PADI is a 200 yard nonstop swim. So it could be a 25 pool. None the less, the best thing to do is remember it is not a race, and take your time. There is no time limit so relax and go slow.

A very good book you might want to look at is Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin.

Supernal:

Thanks again!
Soon you'll have 2 new sports to enjoy - scuba and swimming :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom