Didn't pass swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Actually, yes. It's a medical fact that black people have a higher density of muscle, and that equates to them being far less buoyant than their Caucasian, Asian, or Hispanic counterparts. Don't even start with the racist crap. I served with soldiers from all over the world, of every color and combination, and patched up those soldiers. We all bleed the same color. It's a non-issue. *shrug*

I can see what you're getting at - Was just a curious way of putting it, in that it was not obvious that he swam like a brick BECAUSE he was black.

It's all good. :)

For those who asked for documentation, this isn't the thread for it, and I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence, anyway. I was a lifeguard for six years and taught lots of people how to swim. It seems that a disproportionate number of the black soldiers that I helped, had a more difficult time. On the other hand, if black people DO have higher muscle density, I think they'd make awesome scuba divers. :)

Fish_Whisperer:
For those who asked for documentation, this isn't the thread for it, and I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence, anyway.

actually, it's a scientific fact that some groups of poeple have different body
types than others (think eskimo v. masai).

my problem is that saying "black people" is much too gross an overgeneralization.

east african (black) and west african (black) have tremendously different
body types from each other. as they do from the masai (black) and the
bushmen (black).

it's not the race (which, btw, isn't even a scientific concept).
it's the biological adaptation to particular ecosystems that matter.

there's as much difference among "black" peoples as there are between
whites and blacks.

like i said, my objection is to your generalization.

eyebrow

[alright i PROMISE no more hijacks]

Hey Supernal... Are you taking a PADI sponsored course? If so, recognize that you have an option for a 300 yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel. Some folks find that easier.

Hey, SKBRDVR1, you might want to read the thread. That point has already been pointed out and she's already told us it's a NAUI course. She actually needs to know how to swim.

All I can say is good Luck and keep on training till you have it down pat. I know you will do good because you have the right attitude.

I know that I have timed swims that I have to do with PADI for my DM class. I am not looking forward to it becasue I am not a fast swimmer and since i damaged my knee it is going to be even harder to do. I figure I will take it one stroke at a time.

Ashley

Supernal:
So I started my swim classes today...wish me luck!

awesome, Supernal!

this is great... you'll go far

find the problem, find a solution, implement it!

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom