difference between deep diver and aow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mea Culpa Bob, I was misinformed and in the interest of fairness, I apologize for the mistake, now that being said, how many NAUI affiliated dive shops are not for profit?

We need to remember that the agency and the shop are not the same thing. The shop will always be a for-profit venture.

If I am running a dive shop, I can work with any agency I like. It is totally up to me. They do not get a dime of my gear sales. (Of course, when I pay dues and buy instructional materials from them, part of that money comes from gear sales.)

I do want my business to thrive, so I am going to pick an agency that I believe will help me make that happen. Recognizing that, NAUI and PADI (and I assume others--I don't know to what extent) teach prospective instructors that they should work with their dive shop to help it thrive. The PADI quarterly journal always has features showing their dive shops how they can compete better in the market. I assume NAUI dies the same thing for its shops. By providing such services, they give those shops a reason to choose them instead of another certifying agency.

...They do both tell instructors that they should consider themselves to be in a cooperative relationship with the dive shop with which they are associated (assuming they are associated with a shop--it does not have to happen), so promoting sales is good for everyone. If my shop were to go out of business, I assure you I would have a very hard time working as an instructor. I would lose all the instructional facilities, the student gear, the compressor, ....

Not all agencies promote equipment sales through dive shops. I don't know why sales are a part of some agency instructor training programs.

I was teaching diving before there were as many dive shops as there are now. I did not have any problem in filling my classes, getting equipment or air fills. There were clubs that had everything. Pools were available through universities for free. Equipment could be purchased by mail (yes this was possible before the Internet). It didn't present a problem. Compressors are becoming more available to individuals and with on-line sales there is a distinct possibility that many LDS will close. Welcome to the 21st Century... :)

If instructors can influence the type of equipment that the shop carries then I would accept that a cooperative relationship exists. Otherwise, they may be in a position of simply endorsing the best of the worst.

If instructors can influence the type of equipment that the shop carries then I would accept that a cooperative relationship exists. Otherwise, they may be in a position of simply endorsing the best of the worst.

... or they may be in a position of endorsing a perfectly good product that isn't the optimal choice for the student they're endorsing it to.

When you limit your choices to what a given dive shop carries, that is often the case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But I stand by my statement where the only way to gain experience and good inwater skills is to actually go diving.

That depends on the skills. Comfort, buoyancy and so on yes. However a lot of the core skills people never practice on normal diving, things like air shares, mask removals and so on and as a result they maybe "ok" diving but those skills may not have been done since the open water course and even then only once or twice (ive seen it countless times). End result of that is the first time they need one of those skills for real they've forgotten it or cant do it as they never were really comfortable in the first place.

Regular diving WITH regular skills practice is needed, regular diving alone wont help a lot.
However a course like Adv EAN will both hammer those basic skills to the extent they're routine by repetition and promote problem solving by combining several stress factors at once and as a result improve overall diving skills, problem solving and safety.

You'll be a lot more comfortable with a mask off after 4 days of someone ripping it off unexpectedly at every chance while at the same time trying to send up an SMB and hold buoyancy to a very fine degree then you would with 100 dives but you did a mask/remove and replace once on an OW course 2 years before that.

I just want to make it clear that this is not true. Neither PADI nor NAUI sell dive gear, so neither make any money if the instructor pushes gear.

And if like me you only work in places that sell diving as opposed to dive gear there's no problem. I just have to turn up and teach diving, nothing more. No politics, no problems with conflicts of interest, bias or anything.

If you want good impartial advice on equipment ask someone that isnt connected to a shop that sells gear.

Alright lets make a scenario which Im looking at.

IM AOW and Nitrox cert. With my limited experience past 130fsw, virtually none but Ive been 130 several times with no issues up or down. I used some tables to plan a 150 fsw dive MOD.

MOD 150fsw
1.4 ppo2
Mix 25%
EAD 125.6

Now as I plug this into my computer i get 151fsw. So its close enuff.

What would be my issues to encounter below the 130fsw besides panic or Narcossis? Im just curious I have not made the dive but got an opportunity to go kill some fish. Some divers I might be going with are MD and 1000+, Im very comfortable with my gear and my abilities. Should I check into a ADV NITROX class for this type depths? Thats 4.5atm

Just checking.

Should I check into a ADV NITROX class for this type depths? Thats 4.5atm

Just checking.

Advanced nitrox classes involve utilizing mixes higher than 40% above 130ft. That class would not address the specified dive. If you want to dive below 130ft on air (or a non-helium mix), I believe you're looking for an "extended range" class. At 130ft you have 10 minutes of bottom time. Below that you're looking at very little time and/or a decompression stop. You're getting into tricky territory for a non-technical diver.

Take a class and benefit from more seasoned divers' experience. I would also consider a helium class (and mix) - from what I've heard, you'll enjoy the dive a lot more as well as be safer.

PS: Sorry for the derailing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom