difference between deep diver and aow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any literature to read on diving deep, since most of the deep course is theories on how depth will affect you. I heard deco for divers is a good book. Finding a good dive buddy is also important.

As far as PADI AOW, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the recommended max depth after AOW is 100', while after the deep specialty (which is more dives and theory, all arguments about content and training quality aside) it is 130'. Not that I've ever seen a dive op that actually cared about that distinction.

Is there any literature to read on diving deep, since most of the deep course is theories on how depth will affect you. I heard deco for divers is a good book. Finding a good dive buddy is also important.

When I went looking for something to use as material for my Deep Diver specialty class I was surprised to discover that none of the agency material did a very good job of covering the topics I felt were important. So I wrote my own.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward you what I wrote. You may or may not find it helpful (it was written to be used as a reference for live instruction) as it touches on what I consider to be the essential topics.

Deco for Divers covers a lot of material that is useful to know for someone interested in deep diving. It's one of the books I most recommend to any diver who wants to get into aggressive dive profiles.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i thought that deep diving was covered in aow, seems like another way to get money out of you.

Basically....the deep dive in the AOW course is dive one in PADI's Deep Diver course. As with anything else (and has been mentioned several times in this thread) it's all what you get out of the instructor as opposed to the agency that's putting on the course. As explained to me by a local instructor, HIS "PADI" Deep Diver course, goes a little off the stated curriculum, and gives you a better understanding of deep diving, gas management, and also parallels some decompression theory so you can take tech courses with little difficulty. (he referred to it as a "Pre-Advanced Nitrox" course)

I took a PADI Wreck Diver course a few years back (because it A. was a learning notch on the dive belt and B. got me on a few great wreck dives), and found out (because another diver on the trip that day was doing this) that the AOW "wreck adventure dive" is the first dive of the FULL Wreck Diver course.

The AOW adventure dives are meant to be an overview of the full course and aren't anything more than that.

If you go into it with a "information is good" attitude you'll probably enjoy the course...provided your instructor is a worthwhile instructor!

side-bar....the fact that people have this continual issue with ANY agency is just pure stupidity! IF you took a course, and after the fact felt it DIDN'T provide you with the knowledge you were hoping to gain, TELL THE AGENCY rather than make asinine statements on a public forum. Maybe then they'll review the trainers that are giving them a bad name, and hopefully advise them that maybe something else is better suited for them!

Geez, I thought the deep diver specialty was required to aquire the "Divers Do It Deeper" T-shirt! :D

Nope ... all you need for that is a "Barefoot Man" CD ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In addition to being with PADI, I am also a member of Unified Team Diving(UTD). Let's make a comparison:

Courses: If UTD does not offer more courses than PADI, then it is darn close. Take a look at the link above and find the list of courses, and then realize that this is not a complete list by any means. For example, Technical Diver is actually three classes: Tech 1, Tech 2, and Tech 2 Gold. Compare the requirements for those three and then look at the requirements for Trimix if you want to see a very slow and gradual extension of instructional content.

Selling Gear: Think PADI pushes gear? UTD has its own brand of gear that it promotes in its classes. When you saw gear sales being pushed in a PADI class, it is by the shop that teaches the class itself. The class itself does not teach you to buy gear. It is true that instructors learn that if they want to survive financially in the scuba business, all facets of the business have to survive, including gear sales, but that is a decision of the local shop. If you choose to use an independent PADI instructor, then you won't get that push, because it is not part of the class itself.
-----

I would guess that nearly every every agency has this model of instruction--and I am not knocking it. Neither the PADI version, the UTD version, nor any other one bothers me in the least. Modular instruction allows the student to choose how far he or she wants to go in the educational practice. If you go to a restaurant, you aren't required to buy a seven course meal in order to get something to eat. It's a similar concept.

If you don't like the concept, attack the concept. There is no reason to pick out one of the many agencies that does the same thing.

Geez, I thought the deep diver specialty was required to aquire the "Divers Do It Deeper" T-shirt! :D

:rofl3: You're a sick man Christopher! (I'm proud to know you!)

EANX/ADV EANX has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with developing your actual in water diving skills

Have you ever seen a standard agencies Advanced Nitrox course?! Its entirely about developing in water skills and spends several day doing so.

Basic Nitrox is entirely theory but Advanced Nitrox most certainly isnt.

has a book called "Deep Diving" ... he's also got one called "Solo Diving"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom