Difference between Octopus and primary 2nd stage???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plasterix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi everybody, this might sound a bit strange but I have a question about Octopus vs primary.
What is the difference (if there is one) between the same model octopus and primary regulator, I know the difference in use and color but mechanically - internally speaking, are they made the same way or not??? I am asking as the Octopus seems to be cheaper to buy than the primary!
Kind regards Tim

Often, the second stage sold as an "octo" or "safe second" is a non-adjustable version of the standard second stage with a yellow faceplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...u cant go wrong with a octo as a primary..but u need to tune the cracking pressure to be lower so that it's easier to breath from.. Normally the octo is due to be less sensitive so that it doesn't free flow so easily.. But internally works the same as the same model of second stage regulator..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be a different story if you are diving a donate-able primary on a long hose, with a bungied alternate at your neck.

The primary you breath on in this case is also the one you will be donating if another diver needs help, while the one on your neck is your own back up. In this case the second stages may be identical, although adjusting the back up down a bit on the bungied reg makes sense to prevent a free flow.

In a team diving situation both second stages should be high performance regulators. If you encounter and problems at depth that require you to donate to a team member the donated regulator has to be reliable and breath well.

If you are looking at one model of regulator that has both a primary and octopus version, then the primary difference is: 1) Color, 2) Hose Length, and 3) tuning. The octopus is usually a neon color with a 40 inch hose and tuned to breath rather hard so it does not free flow. The primary is usually a non-neon color (black usually), with a 32" inch hose and tuned to breath more easily.

If you are looking at specific models that are octopus only then they are probably lower performing regulators. One thing to think about: if you are in a situation where you need an octopus, would you rather your buddy pass you a high-performance or low-performance regulator? Most recreational divers would say high-performance and then buy the cheapest octo they could.

thanks all, seems that the both regulators are build the same way. I was always wondering if there is a difference between the actual regulators comparing identical models, seems NOT. Thanks and happy diving

Some ARE different. My Sherwood primary has 1 slight mechanical difference to my octopus. The primary has a roller ball on the lever that engages the diaghram. The octo just has a plain metal lever, no roller ball.

I have also see different springs (different strengths) listed in the parts catalogs, mostly regs from years gone past. Lighter ones for a primary and heaver ones for the octo...

Back
Top Bottom