Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He's not bound by a shop. I've got two instructors actually, they run and maintain the local dive club, and the dive club's equipment and such. They even give us 6 months free to the club to make sure that we continue to dive and not have to purchase gear until we are ready.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2013 at 04:38 PM ----------

The closest shop to us is about 35 minutes away in Joplin, MO, as we are located in Pittsburg, KS. :)

Sounds like a good arrangement. Make use of it!

Good Advice. Also save your pennies for Black Friday. After the summer you may have a better idea as to what you want.

I would not recommend buying a mask online without trying it. Mask is one thing where the brand does not matter much but the fit means alot. Unless uou are absolutely sure that spacific model fits your face just buy it local so you can test the fit. And remember - trying local an then ordering online creates bad karma :)

I already have mask, fins and snorkel. I spent way too much at the LDS, but it'll be worth the money in the long run.

I would not recommend buying a mask online without trying it. Mask is one thing where the brand does not matter much but the fit means alot. Unless uou are absolutely sure that spacific model fits your face just buy it local so you can test the fit. And remember - trying local an then ordering online creates bad karma :)

I used to believe that. My Hog Tech Masks were like $16 each with Black Friday prices. They fit me, my buddy, my 8 y/o, my 10 y/o and a couple guys on the boat that have needed it in a pinch. I think the "proper fit" argument is over-hyped. Hmmmm, I wonder why that would be....

Seriously, if it took 3-5 sizes of masks to fit everyone.... don't you think Chris would be selling 5 different sizes? Instead he writes on his website that a given mask will fit 98% of people. All the different colors and styles aren't there to "fit you" ... they are there to help the sales person drive you to the most expensive mask you are comfortable with. Oh that $50 mask is a good mask but this $100 mask fits you better.

Fins on the other hand are a PITA trying to figure out what size fits you. But if you get a good price on eBay you can flip them without losing money if they don't fit. As for snorkel.... you ain't going to need it. :)

Regardless of who believe in what I tend to believe my feelings and eyes and they are different and do not universally fit everyone.
And BTW I never advised the OP to look at the price if you reread the post.

But this is irrelevant now as the OP has got the mask already.

I used to believe that. My Hog Tech Masks were like $16 each with Black Friday prices. They fit me, my buddy, my 8 y/o, my 10 y/o and a couple guys on the boat that have needed it in a pinch. I think the "proper fit" argument is over-hyped. Hmmmm, I wonder why that would be....

Seriously, if it took 3-5 sizes of masks to fit everyone.... don't you think Chris would be selling 5 different sizes? Instead he writes on his website that a given mask will fit 98% of people. All the different colors and styles aren't there to "fit you" ... they are there to help the sales person drive you to the most expensive mask you are comfortable with.

Fins on the other hand are a PITA trying to figure out what size fits you. But if you get a good price on eBay you can flip them without losing money if they don't fit. As for snorkel.... you ain't going to need it. :)

Only complaint I have about my mask is I have a big nose.... meaning my nose hits the front of the mask.. and every time I smile it leaks.. I just clear the fog and go about my day.

Leisurepro has the perfect fit guarantee. No offense to the great state of Kansas, but it is not a diving Mecca. Something tells me dive stores are few and far between do not have the variety as dive shops near the ocean or in a big city. So for many people mail-order is the best choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom