Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh the great state of Kansas. I can think of two shops I've seen in the state. Topeka, a good three hour driver from me, and Salina, a good 5 hour drive from me.

And remember - trying local an then ordering online creates bad karma :)

What about trying on and purchasing at a dive shop and then purchasing the same product online afterwords? I spent about two years trying every mask on at any dive shop I went past before I finally heard angles sing while trying on one mask. This perfect mask was the least expensive in the store and the store clerk/owner said it was not a good mask and I would be more happy with this other mask that costs $100. I purchased the $50 cheapo and then checked on line to see how I did on price, I found the same ScubaMax mask selling on line at several different stores for half of what I spent. I then placed an order for two more so I would have back ups of the mask that makes angles sing.

I think once you purchased it once after trying you are not obligated to buy from them for the rest of the life :)

I have never believed in the price connection to the how great the mask is. If it fits properly and of a reasonable quality its a deal maker for me.

I'm really kinda glad I paid way too much for my mask, fins, and snorkel kit. I would ave ordered the wrong booties and fins. Plus I got enough defogger and cleaner to last at least a year.

USA my friend. Halcyon makes sick gear, my whole rig is H but ur gonna pay for it. You can go much cheaper. Halcyon does have by far the best padding and harness system super comfortable and easily adjustable.

I've been window shopping for my BP/W set up and have notice in SS back plates that there is a giant price range. I think Dive rite and HOG have plates for around $90.00. However, Zeagle and Apeks and "higher end" or "mainstream" companies have them for $150 to $180 it think. What is the big difference, to me they look about the same, and the dimensions are close.

Also I would like to open this can of worms... What's with the love/hate relationships with HOG? I've seen other board members call it the HOG law. I see some people that would die for HOG and others that are under the impression that they would die if they purchased/used a HOG product.

Being a newbie this makes no sense to me. Coming from the auto industry I understand that there are just those companies that people don't want to be caught dead in (like I HATE Toyota, and would never purchase one).

I'm just confused about it. It seems the scuba industry is all basically the same with minor advances for different companies.

Thanks for helping me make an informed decision!!

-Sutton

PS: Sorry for the poopstorm that may come from this. Let us keep the butthurt to a minimum please, I would like GOOD information. Not just because I say so information.

I feel like statistically you're going to have a ton of people disagree with your statement. I learned about 10 minutes of looking at gear that your shear price value doesn't make your rig anymore comfortable or "better" than the majority of the rigs used.........

I feel like statistically you're going to have a ton of people disagree with your statement. I learned about 10 minutes of looking at gear that your shear price value doesn't make your rig anymore comfortable or "better" than the majority of the rigs used.........

The cinch system is pretty cool but DSS has something similar and a company called AGIR-Brokk also has something similar. Also there are threads on SB about DIY solutions. I have a Halcyon rig (without the cinch) and there is nothing special about the padding and harness system except the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom