Difference in Back Plates and HOG question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you are paying for on backplates is essentially the brand and maybe the quality of the finish. While the bend, the holes, and the cam slots change none of that should increase the price. The quality of the finish will. Also remember you can deal with dive shops, so you should be able to buy it at a discount.
Thanks for answering the plate question. I didn't even think about the finishes, which makes a ton of sense now.

I don't think there are any grey market retailers anymore. Leisure pro is a dealer with almost every product they sell. Also there is nothing wrong with a grey market plate. It is not like it needs to be serviced.

LP is still Grey with regards to Aqualung products.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 12:44 PM ----------

Are there any American made manufactures anymore. That in my mind alone is worth more money and support.

I am a college student, so I have like zero disposable income.

Pick which you are.

HOG is a good value with new gear and and provides rather rare support for the DIYer.

But, if you really want to save money, it is hard to beat older gear, especially if you can service it yourself. I dive nothing but older (1970-1990 vintage) Scubapro regulators. Aqualung/US Diver is another good option but it does not offer the design choices you can find with Scubapro. You will not find any DIY support from those companies in the USA; but they are so wide spread and common that plenty of parts and documentation are available if you do some hunting.

Good Luck.

Thanks. I'm not sure I want to open my mind up to servicing things yet. A BC is fairly up front as far as service. I'm not concerned there, but regs is going to be fun when I sit down to figure that one out.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 12:49 PM ----------

LP is still Grey with regards to Aqualung products.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 12:44 PM ----------

Pick which you are.
I am a college student that has the self control to set back money monthly until I have enough cash to make a purchase. If I have to save an extra couple of months to make a purchase then I will.

And generally with larger products between American made and imported maybe $50 to $100 extra. At least this is what I have found in most cases. Very rarely is it a giant chunk of change difference that makes it impossible to support American made.

Very rarely is it a giant chunk of change difference that makes it impossible to support American made.

I think you'll find in Scuba that isn't the case. Halcyon is one company that's American made and you can expect their rig to cost double. ($600+ vs $300+)

I think you'll find in Scuba that isn't the case. Halcyon is one company that's American made and you can expect their rig to cost double. ($600+ vs $300+)

I guess I did not know that. I actually never looked at Halcyon because of the price range.

Are there any horror stories (like with toys) from buying products that are imported?

Are there any American made manufactures anymore. That in my mind alone is worth more money and support.

I am pretty sure that my Dive Rite BP/W are. And to the best of my knowledge my Atomic & ScubaPro Regs both are. But with Globalization taking effect even USA might mean with foreign parts. And this is not always a direct reflection on quality either.

Take for example the hamburger and French Fries meal...pretty much a US Standard.

McDonalds makes some of the worse hamburgers around; you usually have to get a deluxe or Big Mac just to make it tolerable. Go to a French Flunch restaurant and the Hamburgers are really good. But McDonalds' French Fries are awesome and in France theirs are just fried potatoes slices.

The main reason why China does not build to higher quality standards most of the time is that their clients do not want to pay for it.

Like you I prefer to buy USA products too, but I am not against others either.

Take at look at Zeagle ( Zeagle Express .com ) They are American made AFAIK.

MMMM French fries..............

This makes more sense. So now that the region of manufacture is out of the question, it just leaves the thought of finishes.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 01:08 PM ----------

Take at look at Zeagle ( Zeagle Express .com ) They are American made AFAIK.

I held Zeagle on a pedestal for a while because of the availability and the ability to get it for a decent pricing. I have looked at DSS and Diverite as well. I have not priced a HOG rig yet because of the mixed/confusing information I get about their quality.

MMMM French fries..............

Not just any French Fries....McDonalds' French Fries.

French Fries.png

Damn you!!!!!!!!!! Must..........resist.......Mcdonalds...... French fries.....have lots of scuba to buy..................................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom