Digital Telephone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had an area power shutdown today and the TWC VoiP phone worked fine with the modem UPS so I guess any local repeaters are self powered or UPS'ed. I did not check the Internet because I could not be bothered to bypass my (dead) wireless tranciever.

I also checked and we have 'enhanced 911 - it automatically sends your address.

One BIG problem - TWC customer service is the most APPALLING service I have ever come across in thirty years and three continents - quite a claim to fame. When it works it is great - get a problem and head for the valium before you call....

MikeC:
No, unless it is a cordless phone. I have never unplugged the answering machine to see if the phone in the kitchen still functions. I have a plain old phone in the bedroom that works as long as Verizon works.

BabyDuck:
i thought about it but didn't do it. i'm leary of not having phone if i don't have electricity. electrical outs don't happen as often now as when i was a child, but still happen. i even still have a corded phone in case i can't use the cordless ones. others have said i could just use my cell if there wasn't electricity, but if there was a hurricaine or whatever, i would hate to run my gas out of my car just to charge my phone since mine doesn't charge unless the engine is going. of course, phones could also be out separately, but i decided to worry about that tomorrow. my experience & .02...

The next technology (which is already in use in many office technologies) is called POE (power over ethernet)...in this case the cable company will provide enough power to keep the phone and internet service up and runnning during a power outage. Coming to an area near you soon (maybe one or two years).

Back
Top Bottom