DIN Adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most recreational tanks have a yoke valve--you can see an o-ring where you attach your regulator. Your regulator has a face that presses up against the o-ring and a yoke attachment that surrounds the valve and screws in tension from the back.

Other tanks (some recreational and most technical) have a DIN valve--you screw the regulator into the valve. Your regulator has a DIN fitting that screws into the valve.

So, if you have a DIN-equipped regulator and want to use a yoke valve tank, you need a DIN adaptor. The adaptor screws onto your regulator's DIN fitting and includes the yoke attachment hardware for attaching to the yoke valve tank.

theskull

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I needed to buy one.

Sooner1:
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I needed to buy one.

Only if you have a DIN regulator.

On the other hand, you can't use a yoke reg on DIN tanks. For low pressure DIN valves, there are inserts that can screw in and make it a yoke [providing there is a dimple on the back of the valve to hold the yoke reg clamp on]. For high pressure DIN valves [300 bar] the valve is too deep [by design] to make an o-ring seal with the yoke converters [as well as being too deep to make a seal with a 200 bar DIN reg]. However that's not something you'll probably need to worry about, as yoke valve tanks are _much_ more common, and if you happen to end up somewhere where they only have DIN tanks, they will probably be LP tanks with the yoke adaptors.

Thanks for all the info folks. I was browsing through a catalog and saw them on the same page as some of the regulators. Just wasn't sure if it was something I would need. I'm a new diver and am in the process of buying my first set of gear. My LDS is more like an FDS (far dive shop) so I've been looking at catalogs a lot. Besides I don't think the LDS would want me standing over their display case endlessly staring at the reg and computer that I want. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom