DIN vs. Yoke vs. Online vs. LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Both "DIN vs Yoke," and "Online vs. LDS" arguments have been argued to death on this board. But, I don't think that an example of my particular problem has been addressed yet...

I am shopping for a regulator and tank. I want to get a steel HP 80 tank (for superior weigth and bouyancy characteristics). Which means that I need a DIN valve regulator.

My problem:

LDSs around here do not carry regulators with DIN 1st stages. Therefore, I have two options:
1) Get a Yoke valve regulator at my LDS and put a Yoke to din adapter on it.
2) Get a DIN valve regulator online.

Forgetting about price for now (even though this matters), there are pros and cons for either option.

Option 1) pro: If I buy the reg at the LDS, I don't have to worry about warranty and maintenance issues. The more money I spend at the LDS, the nicer they are.
Option 1) con: I have been told that Yoke regulator w/ DIN adapter is not the preferred setup. I don't like the idea of having to add any more parts to the regulator than I have to; IMHO adapters seem like they should be temporary fixes.

Option 2) pro: I've been advised that a DIN first stage on a DIN tank valve is the preferred setup. I think its better to use the regulator as it was designed to be used.
Option 2) con: Buying Online... well you know.

Which do you think is the better of two evils. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All the good+ regs I know of are available both DIN and yoke in the US, so I would be shocked to hear that your LDS cannot order whatever reg you want in DIN. Have you asked?

Can't they order in a DIN first stage?

I know from experience with scubapro this is possible as I have 2 DIN Mk20 regs. I think the reg comes with a standard A clamp they can the convert with a kit. It is not an adapter as such as to me that implys you can easily convert back to A clamp.

Get DIN regs and A clamp adapter for when you go to places on holiday that only have A clamp type tanks would be my advise. And if your shop can't help you I'm sure you could find one nearby that can.....

Jonathan

I've been to two LDS around here (So Cal),

1) Sport Chalet, Huntington Beach.
2) Another LDS (I can't remeber the name) in Irvine, CA.

I was told at both LDSs that DIN 1st stages were REALLY hard to get in the US. Do you think they were just telling me that because they wanted to get rid of all the 2001 stuff they have in stock?

Ya think!!!Actually I'd deep 6 these guys,they're liars to start.I have the 1st stages Jonathan mentioned.It is a Calvin Tucker to get those things switched around(yoke to DIN)but it can be done.

Absolutely not true in general.

If you are asking for a specific reg, I suppose there could be a production problem with that one, but then you would have the same problem online.

In general, going DIN to yoke is simple. Other way 'round.... well, I don't know what a "CalvinTucker" is, but I suspect it is what we call a 'Charlie Foxtrot' around these parts, and I concur; it is.

Back up a minute. The only difference in a DIN regulator and a Yoke regulator is the different means of attaching to the tank. Other than that the regs are identical. For example an Apeks regulator that has been converted from yoke to DIN is the exact same as an Apeks regulator that came from the factory DIN. One fitting screws out and another screws in it's place. There are no extra parts in one that has been converted. So you could buy a Yoke regulator and a conversion kit for it, convert it, and you'd have exactly the same reg that you would if you bought it DIN. Course that's more expensive, because you have to get the conversion kit, but it also makes it more versitile in that you can always switch back in a flash if you need to.

Now adapters do add extra parts, but they are for converting a DIN regulator to yoke, not the other way around. They provide a fast means of hooking a DIN regulator onto a yoke valve.

As far as you shop goes, I'd venture to guess they'd simply rather sell you something they have in stock vs having to special order something for you. My LDS has bocuddles of DIN regs and yoke regs in stock, so they can't be hard to come by in the US.

Warhammer is correct. All dive shops should be able to order a din conversion kit ($35 -$55). I don't know of any of the major reg makers that don't have one. As far as adapters, din to yoke is ok for rcreational diving but for tech diving it does give one more failure point. I didn't know they even made a yoke to din adpt and wouldn't use one if they do. The only ones we use are designed to use to just fill a din tank with a yoke filler. you would have to mount the reg on sideways for it to work.

And now to admit my stupidity, or my clouded memory remind me what a Calvin tucker is ???? being a military brat I do remember the Charlie foxtrot.
:bonk:

Foothillsdiver

Tell those local dive shops to kiss off. They either lied or are ignorant, and either way, you can't trust them anymore. Unless there's is a backorder or something, I'd say they are full of it. This type of stuff isn't unusual.

Anyway, though I don't care much for HP tanks, I do like DIN valves and regs. Get a DIN reg and a DIN valve. The valve should be a modular DIN valve that can be adapted to a manifold someday, if you get the itch to do so. Sea Elite, Scuba Pro, Dive Rite, and perhaps Halcyon (? they have manifolds, not sure about valves alone) are all good valves.
Don't waste your money, do it right the first time. None of this has to cost more, but a little thought can save you a lot in the future. A DIN reg shouldn't cost any more than a yoke reg, but a DIN valve might cost like $10 more than a yoke valve.

My own feelings on buying online is that the money saved is so significant, that warrenty issues are basically irrelavant, especially if you buy an Apeks reg :wink: . If you know where to buy, you can still get a warrenty even with mail order. If the thing needs service, put it in a box and express it to a dealer that will fix it. If a local dealer won't fix it, it's their loss.

Take care.

Mike

A yoke to DIN convertor is available for 200DIN valves. It's an insert for the valve, and the yoke works the same as normal.

I don't see why you should have any trouble getting either type. Most of the dive shops around here have both on the shelf. I have a Zeagle Reg (aka Apeks) and to convert it you simply unscrew the yoke from the reg and replace it with the DIN. Both parts are factory and only take a second to swap. Just remember, if you are going to travel with your reg, you will want to be able to concert it, I can't remember seeing a DIN tank at any of the resorts I have been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom