DIN vs. Yoke vs. Online vs. LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back up a minute. The only difference in a DIN regulator and a Yoke regulator is the different means of attaching to the tank. Other than that the regs are identical. For example an Apeks regulator that has been converted from yoke to DIN is the exact same as an Apeks regulator that came from the factory DIN. One fitting screws out and another screws in it's place. There are no extra parts in one that has been converted. So you could buy a Yoke regulator and a conversion kit for it, convert it, and you'd have exactly the same reg that you would if you bought it DIN. Course that's more expensive, because you have to get the conversion kit, but it also makes it more versitile in that you can always switch back in a flash if you need to.

Really? I did not realize that a Yoke 1st stage converted to DIN, and a factory DIN 1st stage are identical. I guess then, I wouldn't mind getting the 1st stage in Yoke and then converting it to DIN. (I would have gotten a DIN-to-Yoke adapter even if I got the DIN 1st stage. I would need the adapter for boats dives that provide tanks ... AL80s)

But, I think the LDS I visited really sucks if what you all have been telling me about the availability of DIN valves in the US is true... especially since I have rented and purchased quite a bit of gear from them (Sport Chalet) this year.

Thanks for the info.

Most LDS would prefer to sell you what they have in stock vs. a special order........thus your experience. BUt it is pretty wierd that they would tell you that DIN fittings are not available at all.

Time to choose a new LDS....

Getting a yoke reg and the DIN conversion is a fine idea, especially if you intend on traveling. I bought a DIN conversion for my Apeks and for a Sherwood (a few years ago). I believe it was over $60 (I got ripped off) for the DIN convertor. It only takes a couple minutes to take the yoke off and put the DIN on. You need a big cressent wrench and an allen wrench. Just make sure you get everything in 300DIN. I don't know if 200 DIN is still being made or not. 300 DIN is what you want.

Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by ifukuda

Really? I did not realize that a Yoke 1st stage converted to DIN, and a factory DIN 1st stage are identical. I guess then, I wouldn't mind getting the 1st stage in Yoke and then converting it to DIN. (I would have gotten a DIN-to-Yoke adapter even if I got the DIN 1st stage. I would need the adapter for boats dives that provide tanks ... AL80s)

But, I think the LDS I visited really sucks if what you all have been telling me about the availability of DIN valves in the US is true... especially since I have rented and purchased quite a bit of gear from them (Sport Chalet) this year.

Thanks for the info.

That's another thing that's troubling about this shop. If they knew much about the equipment that they are selling, then they would have knew this. And they could easily convert one of their yoke regs to DIN for you, which would help you to avoid some the costs associated with converting it yourself. I usually just swap my reg back to yoke before I go off on vacation without my tanks, but I'll probably pick up one of the adapters before next trip.

BTW, you never mentioned which reg you were considering?

That's another thing that's troubling about this shop. If they knew much about the equipment that they are selling, then they would have knew this. And they could easily convert one of their yoke regs to DIN for you, which would help you to avoid some the costs associated with converting it yourself. I usually just swap my reg back to yoke before I go off on vacation without my tanks, but I'll probably pick up one of the adapters before next trip.

BTW, you never mentioned which reg you were considering?

You make another good point about the dive shop Warhammer. And, I haven't mentioned my reg choice because, I seem to change my mind almost on a daily basis.

I've considered Apeks...everyone only has great things to say about their performance. But, the I can't find the TX50 at LDSs around here. I think the TX100 is a little too expensive, and that the TX200 is way too expensive.

I've considered ScubaPro regs...MK20 + the gazillion different 2nd stages that ScubaPro makes.

I've considered Mares regs...I really like how the Mares regs look. And, the V16 + Epos is on sale ($100 off regular price) until 12/24.

But then I go back to considering Apeks, and so I go around and round in circles.

The performance of all above mentioned regs is more than adequate for my type of diving (Boat and shore diving; depth: 30-100 feet; temperate waters of so cal...and sometimes baja; no tech diving). Also, I'm able to maintain a pretty good air consumption rate; I only weigh 155#, keep in pretty good shape, and do not easily get excited.

My old instrcutor tells me that for my type of diving and air consumption needs, a $150 AquaLung (ex: Calypso or Titan) would be more than adequate. He's probably right...but there's no fun in having the same regulator as everyone on the dive boat that's rented their gear.

I'd have to agree with your instructor. Pretty much if you'll stay with respected brand names, you won't go wrong with any of them. Course different conditions such as cold, deep and etc add extra varibles that should be considered if you plan on doing that type of diving.

Speaking of the Aqualung Titan; my wife dives one of those fitted with the new LX 2nd stage and the LPO octo. She loves it and it doesn't break the bank. It's also small and packs really well. And you can get it in DIN, saw one in DIN the other day and it looked sweet. My dive buddy on my recent trip was diving the a Titan LX and he reported no difference in breathing all the way to 145ft, so that should cover most divers. He also intentionally tried to over-breathe the reg, it didn't happen. I even joined in on the fun by breathing his octo, still no noticeable difference at 145'. Another good reg would be the Micra by Aqualung, but I hear they are a pain in the ass to work on.

Course I'm partial to Apeks and think that if I were buying a new reg tommorow it would most definately be the ATX200. Apeks claims it breathes better than the rest of their line, but I doubt humans could tell any difference. What I like about it is it's compact size and good looks.

Well I've settled on Apeks atx 200

now 90% of my diving is in the carribean and Indonesia
I most always encounter yoke type valves
should I still consider a Yoke mount
or go with the DIN and screw in yoke converter
in other words which way should I go to cover all bases
Thanx all

Hello,

Here's the low down. Most regulators on the market (well the GOOD ones at least) you can order them din or yoke. See DIN in the european standard and if your going to sell to that market you use DIN. The u.s. is bass ackwards and use yoke as standard. It's been proven time and time again that din is safer, more reliable and easier to use.

Now off my soap box :wink: If any shop scams you like that then just walk away and goto a shop that won't. Either a) this shop doesn't know what they are talking about, b) they are really really out of the loop on how things are done (see a), c) they are trying to clean out inventory or c) see a above. Either way I think they are trying to scam you (typical dive shop now days)

Ed

Originally posted by RAN
Well I've settled on Apeks atx 200

now 90% of my diving is in the carribean and Indonesia
I most always encounter yoke type valves
should I still consider a Yoke mount
or go with the DIN and screw in yoke converter
in other words which way should I go to cover all bases
Thanx all

If you don't own your own tanks with DIN valves nor do you plan on purchasing such anytime soon, then I see no reason to buy a DIN reg. If all you ever use is tanks with yoke valves, then it doesn't do you any good to have a DIN regulator. More so, it complicates things. But if you have a need for DIN, then I don't see that it makes any difference which way you go. A DIN reg with a yoke adapter would be more convient, but would also add an inch or so to the length that the reg sticks out from the tank. That may or may not effect you. On the other hand, swicthing the reg back and forth from DIN to yoke is more trouble, but you'd avoid the use of the adapter.

Ran,

I agree with Warhammer. Unless you intend on having your own tanks, don't worry about it. As long as you're not doing overhead stuff, it's not a particulary important issue. If I were in your particular shoes, I would get a yoke and then convert it later when you get your own tanks (assuming you decided to buy DIN valves). For people who are buying new tanks and regs all at the same time, I recommend DIN.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom