DIR fin technique questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scooters and split fins is like putting electric starters on Harleys, it civilized the sport so everyone could participate.

... you say that like it's a bad thing ... :idk:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not too much to add at this point, but one thing I'll try to emphasize. Blackwood sort of covered this, but with a proper frog kick you send quite a bit of the force vector directed straight back. By proper I mean using appropriate fins (not just paddle fins but fins with the right balance of flex and stiffness...hard to describe but JetFins and a few others seem to be the sweet spot), being in good trim, and most importantly articulating your ankles quite considerably so that the fins slap together as you go back.

This is seriously one of those things that you just need to go dive with someone who has a good frog kick to understand. It's a very relaxing kick when done properly, and per kick extremely powerful.

That said, as others have mentioned, there are 6 kicks which must be mastered to obtain a Fundies tech pass (flutter/mod flutter/frog/mod frog/back/helicopter), of which 4 are forward propulsion kicks. If you don't have a good non-silting flutter kick, you cannot progress in the GUE curriculum. I imagine UTD has similar requirements. So appropriate kicks for different environments is a central tenant of the philosophy.

Congratulations on starting really the only thread I can think of on DIR outside the DIR forum that produced more or less appropriate, rational discussion :)

A Harley is going to be slow and sluggish regardless of mode of ignition. But I digress.

You're clearly riding with the wrong people ... :wink:

Henrik

Not too much to add at this point, but one thing I'll try to emphasize. Blackwood sort of covered this, but with a proper frog kick you send quite a bit of the force vector directed straight back. By proper I mean using appropriate fins (not just paddle fins but fins with the right balance of flex and stiffness...hard to describe but JetFins and a few others seem to be the sweet spot), being in good trim, and most importantly articulating your ankles quite considerably so that the fins slap together as you go back.

I do believe that a proper flutter probably also involves "aiming" the fins.

If you watch olympic freestyle swimming, you'll see a slight bend in the leg and foot position that appears (just visually, I've not done any analysis) to be directing the force.

I imagine similar leg and foot control coupled with a small amplitude to be the most efficient and effective flutter kick for diving. I just can't do it, particularly not with my fins (which are Jets).

LOL, what Moto Guzzi's? What's the world coming to.. I know thats not the one your heart belongs to, what is it a Laverta or something else like that. I do like the Lamborgini . If you can't tell I spell like crap in English so my other language skills are something to be admired

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom