DIR friendly dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflylow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Hawaii in early April for a couple weeks of work. I am going to have a few weekend days off for diving and want to get with a reputable dive shop that won't freak out when I break out my long hose :eyebrow: Any ideas??

iflylow:
I am going to be in Hawaii in early April for a couple weeks of work. I am going to have a few weekend days off for diving and want to get with a reputable dive shop that won't freak out when I break out my long hose :eyebrow: Any ideas??

Dive Tek on Kona advertises to be DIR compliant. My experience (unfortunately) is that they are nearly impossible to get ahold of. Multiple phone messages and emails went unanswered. I did - once - get Keith on the phone. He suggested I email to him my arrival and departure dates & he would get back to me with some options (I was looking to do some deeper dives - trimix & deco). I never heard back from him. I decided not to pin my hopes on an operation that wouldn't return my calls.

I did dive with Jack's Diving Locker in Kona and Fathom five in Kauai. While there were som questions from newbie divers on the boat about 'that metal plate' and 'all of that hose' , there was no freaking out. One of the DM's at Jacks dives a Halcyon rig although he doesn't have a long hose.

Both operations seem to run a 'follow-the leader' group approach, so if you're looking for a DIR buddy with clear understanding of dive planning and buddy skills, bring one along. That's not to say they aren't safe, it's just that they don't follow DIR buddy protocol.

T

trob09:
Dive Tek on Kona advertises to be DIR compliant. My experience (unfortunately) is that they are nearly impossible to get ahold of. Multiple phone messages and emails went unanswered. I did - once - get Keith on the phone. He suggested I email to him my arrival and departure dates & he would get back to me with some options (I was looking to do some deeper dives - trimix & deco). I never heard back from him. I decided not to pin my hopes on an operation that wouldn't return my calls.

T

I've heard the same thing. If you can't get a hold of them, just jump on a cattle boat and do the guided tour thing if you're just doing recreational profiles.

Thanks everyone. I saw the divetek website and few days ago and emailed Keith over the weekend. Got an answer back today from him that sounded pretty good.

What is the normal cost for a boat dive over there? He quoted me a price a bit higher than I pay in Okinawa Japan - just wondered what the going rate was over there.

To answer the where question, I am going to be working near Pearl Harbor for a few weeks. Is anyone on the board living near there? I will be bringing my own gear so will only need tanks!)

Hard to say. I have seen prices ranging from 60 to 110. I know the one place allows you only 30 minutes on the shallow dive, others 45....As always, you get what you pay for. Some companies will give you a discount if you are military or Kama'aina. Ask for the details when you book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom